Thread: Slam Valve

Slam Valve

I am working with a heat recovery system from an ammonia plant. The heat is transfered from the NH3 discharge into a hot water circuit used for underfloor heating and fan coils in an office block via a shell and tube heat exchanger.
    I have carried out a risk assement and a potential problem has become apparent in that in the very remote possibility of a failure of a tube in the heat exchanger high pressure ammonia could enter the water circuit. This would not be a problem in one connection as there is a check valve on the outlet of the pump but I need to specify a Slam Valve for the other circuit.
    Despite extensive searching on the internet I can find no suitable valve. What I am looking for is a springloaded gate or ball or butterfly valve with and electrical trigger to close it.
    Can anyone out there suggest something siutable - it cannot be the first time this has been done!

Re: Slam Valve

Can you use air? There are many air actuated process style valves with very fast actuation times which would probably work well.

Hi Towd,
    Try here: www.flowserve.com.au/brands/valtek.htm they`re based in Oz but must have distributors over here as we use their slamshut valves on our boilers for feed water at 650 psi. They say they`re suitable for aggresive chemicals and gasses so ammonia should be ok,
    Regards,
    Glenn

Sorry Towd I forgot to say go to the brands link and click "Valtek" They should be what you`re after

As glenn1420 suggests, search for "spring actuated ball valve" & lots to choose from in your neck of the woods.