Cool New Parts Catalogue - Suggestions?

Hi all, I'm posting this hoping to get a bit of feedback from those that matter and not just by committee. I make no secret of the fact that I work for Pentland Wholesale and weigh in on here now and again if people are struggling to find manuals or parts etc, never knowingly trying to directly sell anything to anybody! We are currently in the beginning stages of compiling a new catalogue for our spares division Pentland Parts, and I would love to hear any suggestions from engineers or people that might and do use parts catalogues already, so we send out something you find easy to read and easy to use.

We have a lot of experienced engineers already weighing in, but I'd love to canvas opinion further afield. So if you have any suggestions or comments that might help us help you, I'd really appreciate hearing them guys.

Again, apologies if this comes across as a bit salesy (?) but I'm really not trying to hawk anything! Just want to publish something people will read, I'm a firm believer as many of you are that a good product and service will sell itself. So please leave comments here, DM me or e-mail me direct at adam.dore@pentlandwholesale.co.uk or even visit the website www.pentlandparts.co.uk and fill in the contact form. All suggestions are really appreciated, and I might see if I can twist someones arm here to sort a few prizes for the best ones!

Cheers guys, hope to hear from y'all soon.

Re: New Parts Catalogue - Suggestions?

Hello Adam.

Do you plan on the thing being paper based or electronic?
    If you print them off and send them out you can't change
    the information inside them easily.

If you put prices inside then you can't update them and if
    sombody quotes the printed price they may grumble if the
    actual price is differant.

Don't print copper prices because it will be out of date in a week

So put some legal stuff in the front to protect yourself.
    eg prices subject to change, information accurate at time of printing,
    information to be used as a guide only and refer to manufacturers instructions.

Is it going to be one very big catalogue or is it to be smaller ones with
    special deals?

The costs involved if printed are quite high but electronic is easy to use and
    change at later dates.

Regards

Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob,

In answer to a few of your questions, we will be publishing a paper copy, at the moment we are thinking of an A5 brochure, but as with the equipment catalogue, we will also have the digital copy to download from the website, which, as you mention, is important to keep up to date.

Ideally, the world being what it is these days, we would like to have some kind of symbiosis with the website, so would people use QR codes to access more regularly updated information, we have trialled them on our Blizzard bottle coolers for engineers to get quick info from the web (on the rating plate of the new models). Are images important, product ranges being so diverse, would it help to have them to look at and compare? Do you search for parts by the parts manufacturer (Dixell, Danfoss etc) or by the equipment brand (mondial controller, inomak gasket..)?

Would you prefer one big catalogue to take around with you, or would something like a ring binder separating the different ranges/manufacturers be better for you that you could pull out and take to each individual callout. We generally hold a lot of parts breakdowns for the equipment from Pentland Wholesale which we could link to the pages, but we also stock spares for many other ranges that we don't sell too, would some parts breakdowns be better than none?

Really great suggestions and advice re: pricing there Rob, taken on board and something I'm sure we'll end up discussing!

in my opinion, digital is the way to go. Bearing in mind your audience is not always UK based (i use genfrost, as catering and your selves for gear among others). If i need parts i go by brand/model first, if no success then a generic search ie "stat. Being self employed if i can't find it that day then the customer may well be told it's obsolete) i haven't used a paper parts brochure in ages, but they are invaluable for showing customers product ranges, so digital for spare parts and paper for products.

al
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.

engineers arent really bothered about catalogues- we usually scribble on the back of them or lean on em for doing paperwork or throw em at the apprentice when he falls asleep in the van- mobile engineers just go to the wholesaler with the free klix coffee machines or the one near the butty van (usually a female with big norks) or sometimes the loyal engineer will use the same wholesalers he's been going to for years- as long as they hold plenty of stock,and their account isnt on stop then thats the main thing- i get price lists off kooltech- but use tfs as i can get gas/pipe/pumps/steelwork/fixings/cable drain- saves going to elec wholesalers then to plumb ctr so as long as you stock the standard fittings/pipe/driers/compressors/digi stats -and have branded pens on the counter-no problems good luck

Pictures!! Isometric view is better, with the description not printed so that a magnifying glass is required.
    Can only speak for myself, but most times while looking through a "Cattle dog" my hands are grubby so the index would last longer if it were in a clear plastic sleeve.
    Make the covers and binder strong enough to cope with it being shoved under the passengers seat repeatedly.
    You can never go wrong with a girl dressed in a bikini showing a collection of... for example... hermetic compressors or commercial condensing units at the beginning of that particular section in your Catalogue.
    Do i get a free bottle of R404 or 507?
    I'll settle for a box of promotional pens and some PT charts.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Thanks Chaps, the points I'm picking up here are:

* Paper catalogue, whilst useful, not that essential
    * Product descriptions and accurate info more important than images
    * Durable format - Laminated or bound and sleeved
    * Initial price list separate from info
    * Bikini pictures with the products (been banging that drum for ages here myself!)

How about something like a USB stick/flash drive with the catalogue and price list on it, that can be updated regularly from the website?

I also think there might be a place for QR codes (the little fuzzy squares you see on everything these days) That can be scanned on site, linking directly to the approprate section of the website from the page?

Are more and more engineers using mobile technology these days, iPhone/iPad/Android etc, if so we can look at optimising our website for mobile use, or creating an app.

Do you do most of your ordering on the job, or wait until you get home at the end of the day?

How do you search for stuff, product type, product name/number or by Equipment manufacturer (i.e Infrico controller or Dixell controller)?

I'd really like to know, what would make you use the website for ordering equipment? next day delivery, free delivery, web discounts, loyalty points etc? Obviously having fewer overheads for taking orders online allows us a bit of slack if things are coming through the website as opposed to at the trade counter, or on the phone.

We really appreciate all your comments guys, and hopefully we'll be able to put something together you'll find easy to use. Notes are being made on your contributions, and we'll be sure you all get something nice for your time!

mike you forgot it has to be dog puke proof and maybe a storage case for carel sensors- also it cannot be hard backed as if u nut it u cant be bleeding all over your ute- also maybe text in treble size for when captain morgan rum has been sipped whilst browsing-and i dont think theyll do free delivery to oz- even if you order refrigerant in bulk!- on a brighter note-in the back any digistat you sell- a description of the parameters and what they do in detail-with access code to different levels
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    Pictures!! Isometric view is better, with the description not printed so that a magnifying glass is required.
    Can only speak for myself, but most times while looking through a "Cattle dog" my hands are grubby so the index would last longer if it were in a clear plastic sleeve.
    Make the covers and binder strong enough to cope with it being shoved under the passengers seat repeatedly.
    You can never go wrong with a girl dressed in a bikini showing a collection of... for example... hermetic compressors or commercial condensing units at the beginning of that particular section in your Catalogue.
    Do i get a free bottle of R404 or 507?
    I'll settle for a box of promotional pens and some PT charts.

ok, here's an idea, for QR codes, when does someone need a spare part? usually when they are looking at the equipment that has failed, so stick the qr code in a plastic sleeve beside the name plate, we scan it and it brings you to your site with a full breakdown of spares and prices (list not trade), it also allows access to technical downloads for programming etc but only if the requester is registered with you and is trade, other wise it brings you to customer info, ie how to use the unit and basic fault finding?

I'll take me winnings in under counter coolers thanks

al

not a bad idea- but the company doesnt do undercounter coolers for 1/2 pints-maybe when you can drink a full pint then you might be able to claim your prize- oops checked your account and your on stop! haha
    Quote Originally Posted by al View Post
    ok, here's an idea, for QR codes, when does someone need a spare part? usually when they are looking at the equipment that has failed, so stick the qr code in a plastic sleeve beside the name plate, we scan it and it brings you to your site with a full breakdown of spares and prices (list not trade), it also allows access to technical downloads for programming etc but only if the requester is registered with you and is trade, other wise it brings you to customer info, ie how to use the unit and basic fault finding?

I'll take me winnings in under counter coolers thanks

al

Nah the pub has unblocked my account, i can't help if i'm thirsty and you only see half pints

A lot of that is already on our website, but as always there are plans to increase the content, such as parts breakdowns and technical downloads. At the moment, the Blizzard BAR bottle coolers are manufactured with the QR code on the rating plate, this currently takes you to the Blizzard refrigeration index to locate the part you need. The need for a QR code in the parts catalogue is to make finding stock levels and ordering easier, when you know which part you want, simply find the page in the book and scan the QR on the page to see all the related info for that particular part, whether it's in stock plus the price (if you aren't registered as a trade customer RRP displays).

But are there enough people using mobile technology yet in that way to warrant it? I feel there certainly will be, in the same way 5 years ago, many of our customers insisted they preferred a price list they could take it on site with them and phone to check stock levels and prices, and I'm sure many still do. On the other hand, many customers complain they're easy to lose and damage.

Do you have trne chiller parts.