Question Help picking a compliant voltage / hz refrigerator for Japan

Hello, I am newbie but I came to this site to see what opinions people have with my specific problem.

I currently live south of Tokyo where the current is 100v 50 hz. I am building a house and want to put in a nice built in refrigerator. Unfortunately the prices for them are beyond ridiculous through the local dealers. I have duty free status for goods shipped into Japan.

I looked at all the options that I could find and I think my best choice is to buy an EU export model 220v 50 hz from a dealer in the US and use a step up 500watt transformer to convert the 100v 50 hz current to 220v 50hz. Do you think that this will be OK?

I understand that I give up any servicing and warrantee, but the local dealers would only cover me for one year and charge me $40k for a $7k refrigerator.

I would appreciate any opinions or thoughts.

Thanks

Re: Help picking a compliant voltage / hz refrigerator for Japan

A step up voltage transformer will do the job as both the supply and equipment are on 50hz.

Transformer voltage and current are inverse, i.e. high voltage / low current - low voltage / high current.

As you are stepping the voltage up, the current drawn will be less. Just make sure that the transformer you buy is rated at least the same value current (amps) as the fridge draws on 100v and you will be good to go.

Re: Help picking a compliant voltage / hz refrigerator for Japan

Or maybe check the likes of Canada, some of their factories allow you to specify voltage (for a price).
    al
    Mostly found in the southern part of this green and pleasant land.