Simply an Aussie Lady needing advice

Hmm, this is rather daunting as I feeling I am in a fridgie zone and totally not in the right place.

Anyways I shall brave my fears.

Recently I purchase a fridge from a fellow who told me it was only a couple of years old. I have since found out it is not. It is 9. Now I like the fridge because it is a bottom mount fridge and a 500ltr. My concern though is it is simply not dropping any lower then 45 degrees or in celcius 8 degrees. This is at it coldest setting. On the midway it is still at around the same temperature. It sticks at that temp unless it is very hot and the door is opened frequently.
    I cannot afford to purchase another fridge and was wondering if the fridge is faulty if it will not drop any lower then what I have mentioned. The butter is hard in the fridge and the honey is set but I was concerned that the temperature being that high may be a sign the sytem was on its way out. If it wont drop any lower are there fixable reasons why?

Please oh Please help me with some advice.

Tiffany

Re: Simply an Aussie Lady needing advice

I also forgot to note that the fridge had its timer replaced. Just what this means or the impact of a broken timer I am not sure......

Forgive me guys.

Tiffany

rbartlett Guest

it's very hard diagnosing what is actually wrong with your fridge without seeing it.

there are a number of reasons why it's not reaching correct temperature (assuming your thermometer is accurate of course)

dodgy thermostat
    loss of refrigerant
    compressor losing efficiency
    dirty condenser
    faulty fan
    icing problems

etc ete

all fridges are fixable -it's just usually a cost problem

please get some more info -make model etc etc

cheers

richard

Also it would be of interest to know if the compressor switches off or runs constantly, i.e. does it cycle on thermostat?

Hi,

Thank you for your replys.

My fridge is a Westinghouse BJ504Q-R

I think the compressor kicks in. I hear what sounds like a motor running at sometimes and at others its hums softly. That sounds very vague doesnt it.

Never mind, I do thank you for trying though.
    I am quite amazed this sights available to brouse through, though us common folks may not understand all the terminology its still good.

Tiffany.

I hear what sounds like a motor running at sometimes and at others its hums softly.
    I wish all responses were so nice (female).... (hums softly) gives the brain food for thought

Tiffany

Sounds much like the back condenser is full of crap so pull it out and clean it if that doesn't do the trick then I would suggest that the stat is out of calibration or the compressor is struggling to compress (bypassing) so it needs t be replaced. Very rare that the system loses gas charge on a domestic
    Last edited by frank; 09-12-2005 at 09:40 PM.

Im about to sound way out of place here but please tell me what the condensor looks like?
    Oh by the way I turned it to the coldest setting and let it sit over night. It dropped to 4 dgreez. As I have just made breakfast I turned it back to midway, and it is climbing back up again. I think it will go to around 8 degreez again. If it simply will not drop low in temperature could that pin point the problem? It does seem to keep a constant pattern of temperature though, just not what around 2/3 degreez in the day on its midway setting. By the way midway is where it is supposed to sit. : ) Thats what the dial says anyway.

Tiffany

Hi, no idea how old your fridge is but usually these days condensor is the sqiggly black tube thing on the back against the wall.
    Takes a licking, keeps on ticking.

Hi, thank you for that adice. The fridge is about nine years old.

The fridge back is covered and only a black cylindar shows along with gas tubing. I gather the condesor is hidden behind the back panel.

If the temperature stays on 8 degrees celcius or 45 frnht at the standard setting and only four degrees celcius at the coldest setting is that bad? Last night I turned it to its coldest setting to test the coldest temperature and it was only 4 degrees. When I turned it back to the mid setting, it returned to eight degrees. It sits at 8 celcius or 45 frnht. Can I do anything to have the temperature drop lower.

Tiffany

Now I like the fridge because it is a bottom mount fridge and a 500ltr.
    Does that mean the fridge section is underneath the freezer?

If it does I think I know the cabinet you are talking about. Is it the one with the little ice machine inside?

The fridge gets its cooling from the freezer section by means of a circulation fan and a duct.

The chances are, the evaporator (the frosty bit in the back of the freezer section) is iced up blocking the air flow.

Switch it off overnight and let it defrost. Swicth it back on in morning and check after 3 hours. If it works ok then you have defrost problems which could be either the heaters or the heater cut out.

Wouldn`t really recommend taking it to bits as they are a pain in the ar$e, but if you feel confident then take the back panel off the inside of the freezer and you will see a finned block with a fan above it, to the left there is a terminal board, if you have a volt meter then you could check it whilst its on defrost to see if you are getting live and neutral to the heater.

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

Thank you for your time chillen. I think I might give up. The reason being is I must be explaining myself wrong.

The fridge is an upside down fridge. It is a 9 year old westinghouse that just does not drop to around 2 degrees celcius. Instead it sits on 8 degreez unless I turn it to its coolest setting and leave it all night at that setting. It then gets down to 4 degreez. The freezer seal is badly worn but still seals. The top seal has a tiny little opening of say no more the 3-4 mll. Cold air has come out of that but I am convinced that can not be enough to let keep it at 8 degreez.

My desire is to know what to do. Is that temperature wrong. The fact it will not go to a low temperature does that mean it is faulty? If so, what are the main reasons that could be causing the fault?

I do thank you poor guys for trying to understand somone who has no idea about fridges.

Tiffany

Quote Originally Posted by clearlipstick
    Thank you for your time chillen. I think I might give up. The reason being is I must be explaining myself wrong.

The fridge is an upside down fridge. It is a 9 year old westinghouse that just does not drop to around 2 degrees celcius. Instead it sits on 8 degreez unless I turn it to its coolest setting and leave it all night at that setting. It then gets down to 4 degreez. The freezer seal is badly worn but still seals. The top seal has a tiny little opening of say no more the 3-4 mll. Cold air has come out of that but I am convinced that can not be enough to let keep it at 8 degreez.

My desire is to know what to do. Is that temperature wrong. The fact it will not go to a low temperature does that mean it is faulty? If so, what are the main reasons that could be causing the fault?

I do thank you poor guys for trying to understand somone who has no idea about fridges.

Tiffany
    I have just done a search on the web for a westinghouse BJ504Q-R and there were no results. do you have a digital camera (or a friend possibly) to take some pictures with so we can try to identify the problem. a pic. of the door seal gap would help greatly.

Tiffany

This is what you do Madam

Look on your bookshelf......
    There you will find a big fat yellow book
    Let your fingers do the walking.................

Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.

The fact it will not go to a low temperature does that mean it is faulty?
    Yes.

what are the main reasons that could be causing the fault?
    Ive just told you!

IT WILL BE ICED UP.

Thats why your local repair man replaced the timer.

Chillin
    and go get a cuppa

The fridge is an upside down fridge.

The solution is obvious.

As it is upside-down, you should invert the fridge to its correct aspect.

Never fails.

Sodd's the name...... Law's the game.
    Established 1791 - still going strong.

As it is upside-down, you should invert the fridge to its correct aspect.
    I think you will find that in its present location (Australia), it is in its correct aspect. lol

Chillin
    and go get a cuppa

Dear Simply an Aussie Lady!

9 years not a problem for a fridge I have one working more than 20 years

PS.I think you can double quantity of replyes if attach a photo of a refrigerator and/or yours

leave it all night at that setting. It then gets down to 4 degreez.
    What's the problem?

A fridge should hold at 6C so yours seems to be doing OK?

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by chillin out
    I think you will find that in its present location (Australia), it is in its correct aspect. lol

Chillin

Not at all, Bach.

It's obvious that the latitude inversion mechanism that enables antipodean thermal reduction is not correctly adjusted: in short it’s upside down. The lady said so.

It's a bit like the water going down the plug hole the wrong way when you are south of the equator. You will never empty the bath.

Sodd's the name...... Law's the game.
    Established 1791 - still going strong.

The fridge back is covered and only a black cylindar shows along with gas tubing. I gather the condesor is hidden behind the back panel.
    Remove that panel and you should see a fan and a finned tube device. That's the condenser. If it is dirty, clean it. If the fan is not running, it needs to be replaced.

Another possibilty is that the cold control is not working. These devices have a refrigerant charge in their tubing, which if leaking out, will cause the control to require a lower setting in order to engage the compressor. I mention this because you said you could hear the compressor start and run. If the compressor is turning off before you achieve desired temperature, then I would suspect the cold control. If you turn the control to the middle setting and the compressor turns off, this supports the theory that the cold control is your problem.

And it could be just about any other thing, as suggested in the previous discussions.

[QUOTE=slingblade]I have just done a search on the web for a westinghouse BJ504Q-R

http://www.fetchone.com/resources/re...rigerators.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Josiah Sodd
    Not at all, Bach.

It's obvious that the latitude inversion mechanism that enables antipodean thermal reduction is not correctly adjusted: in short it’s upside down. The lady said so.

It's a bit like the water going down the plug hole the wrong way when you are south of the equator. You will never empty the bath.

Ah, but what happens to water going down the plug hole when your right on the equator
    chill out it's only a fridge

Michael Palin tried it bang on the equator

to the north of it, by a few inches it went one way, then he moved it other way and it turned the opposite way
    Any opinions, statements and facts expressed in this message do not constitute legal advice in any shape or form and is given for a general outlook in nature. You are advised to seek appropriate and specific professional assistance from a regulated and authorised advisor for definitive advice.

[QUOTE=Daddy Cool]
    Quote Originally Posted by slingblade
    I have just done a search on the web for a westinghouse BJ504Q-R

http://www.fetchone.com/resources/re...rigerators.htm
    And your point is? this site makes no reference to a bj504q-r either

We got there in the end, even though i think the Aussie girl has long since gone.

Aiyub, what happened to the water on the equator then, did it go straight down?

Also, it he done it either side of the time line, would it have gone slower the further west he went, and faster the further east?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool
    We got there in the end, even though i think the Aussie girl has long since gone.

Aiyub, what happened to the water on the equator then, did it go straight down?

Also, it he done it either side of the time line, would it have gone slower the further west he went, and faster the further east?

Daddy

Remember the Equator is an "imaginery" line...........

Logically at dead centre I would assume it would, but the magnetic pull is either one way or another way, depends which pull is the greatest

where in aus are you ?

There could be many reasons for your problem...if you are near Brisbane I could take a look at it for you