Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: k20 Ignis Blizzard icemaker issue with not starting

I went ahead and ordered a new ice thickness thermostat. Couldn't wait for them to reply for returns.

I will try to return the current one in the meantime.

But is it evident that the problem lies by the ice thickness thermostat?

I guess that is what changes the cycle, so it should be the ice thickness thermostat which is kaput!

Even though it works(without changing cycle to defrost cycle) with the kaput one I ordered.

If I get the new thickness thermostat tomorrow how would be an easy way to test it out before installing it in the plate?

By the way I am beyond the 60 days retour policy they have at cateringparts uk. The return period is 30 days from purchase.

Bummer, anyway a new one is on it's way.

Nike123, does the treshold of the ice thickness thermostat starts at - 8 C(to -15 c)?

I think I can never do a test with a piece of ice. Cause that is less then -8 C? I might be not thinking clearly now.
    A piece of ice can probably be lower then -8 C.

I was thinking to use a piece of ice to test the ice thickness thermostat right away when i have it in 2 weeks. To check if the defrost cycle will kick in.

I am in this video testing the both thermostat for them to trigger. Not sure if the ice thickness thermostat was tested properly this way. But never the less a new one is ordered and coming on it's way.
    I will probably test it this way before I install it under the evaporator.

Blog Entries

You could test ice thickness thermostat by putting its capillary in glass of water together with thermometer (K-type probe, for example) and placing that glass in freezer of your home fridge-freezer or standalone freezer. After some time it will reach temperature of -8°C to -15°C and switch OFF. You should check (with lamp connected in series) at what temperature it switches.

If that does not produce switching of thermostat contacts, or switching is outside of range of -8°C to -15°C than thermostat is faulty.

If your ice is forming in slow manner (it should form 10-15 mm thick ice in 30-40 min.) than you probably have also inefficient compressor which could not decrease evaporation temperature below -13°C, and therefore cannot trigger defrost operation.

Then you should change compressor, filter-drier and capillary tube.

Good luck!
    Last edited by nike123; 01-09-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Splendid idea. About the test. I found out though on the new capillar I have here. It has a dent in it. On the tip of the capillar which was attached to the plate. Maybe I overscrew it when installing. Seeing copper bends in.

Does this affect the pressure in the capillar?

We do have a small fridge with a small freezer section inside. But i think it will or will hardly go to -8 so easy?

The big freezer we have outside I can use too. But i think i wont touch that one as it dont belongs to us.

The small one I have 100% access too.

But to test if it goes under -8 to try your test to trigger. I need to check for a cheap thermometer. To measure the thermometer over time.

If it is going under -8 to -15C it is worth testing it.

A new thermostat was ordered but it was send to the wrong country. So more setbacks. I need to get my money back and see if I can get a new one to ship. But in the meantime is worth testing it that way you described.

Changing the compressor is not an option. It was working fine before as I said, so I doubt that is the problem.

I even kept a timetable it made ice:

cycle (time spend)

0:49
    0:51
    0:55
    0:53

These are the cycles so far I had when it worked. But this is in The Netherlands. Where the ambient temperature is much more colder then here in the Caribbean.
    Last edited by xbox40489; 08-04-2013 at 06:10 AM.

By the way your method is to insert the glass of water and the capillar in the freezer and take it out later when u have an iced glass of water with the capillar inside and then wait for it to defrost and then see with a lamp in serie if this will shut off of turn on?

sounds doable. but then i still need a thermometer.

Small update:

I took off the red cable off the pump and put the capillar of the ice thickness thermostat back under the plate under the evaporator.

I left it running for around 38 min. No water no pump.

The ice formed from air.

I suspect the compressor cant get the plate under to it's -8 C temperature ever.

Also the pipe under the evaporator tunnel coming from outside(is this the hot gas coil)
    This pipe stays neutral, this does not get cold when touched.

And does not have refrigerant in it. Because it's job is to warm up the evaporator?

Can I buy a digital thermometer and stick this under the plate of the capillar of the ice thickness thermostat. Just to see the temperature drop to -8C.

I think this is a good idea. But like I said for almost 35 min no pump on and no triggering to defrost mode.

Small update 2:

The new ice bin thermostat is at the post office.

I need to run a test after I install it and slap a thermometer next to the capillars end. To see if the triggering happens at around -8C.

was this with the lid on? if i remember the cond coil was choked up so in turn the compressor will have been running hot so chance are it may have lost gas,if it has a schraeder charging stubb
    Quote Originally Posted by xbox40489 View Post
    Small update:

I took off the red cable off the pump and put the capillar of the ice thickness thermostat back under the plate under the evaporator.

I left it running for around 38 min. No water no pump.

The ice formed from air.

I suspect the compressor cant get the plate under to it's -8 C temperature ever.

Also the pipe under the evaporator tunnel coming from outside(is this the hot gas coil)
    This pipe stays neutral, this does not get cold when touched.

And does not have refrigerant in it. Because it's job is to warm up the evaporator?

Can I buy a digital thermometer and stick this under the plate of the capillar of the ice thickness thermostat. Just to see the temperature drop to -8C.

I think this is a good idea. But like I said for almost 35 min no pump on and no triggering to defrost mode.

Multi_Function_Digital_Thermometer_Module.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    was this with the lid on? if i remember the cond coil was choked up so in turn the compressor will have been running hot so chance are it may have lost gas,if it has a schraeder charging stubb

schraeder charging stubb

You are talking in codes here.

Well I did not get to clean the condenser coil yet.

I plan to get the part tomorrow at the post office if not it will be monday.

I consider ebaying/or go buy at the local ace store something like this:

http://www.asia.ru/images/target/pho...ter_Module.jpg

http://www.asia.ru/en/ProductInfo/1155775.html

=============
    Multi-Function Digital Thermometer Module

Our multi-function digital thermometer modules are used to measurethe temperature of refrigerators, fish bowls, etc.Specifications:1) Temperature range: -50oC~70oC2) Accuracy:a) ±0.1oC (10oC~50oC)b) ±0.2oC (oC and >50oC)3) Result: 0.1oC4) Display mode: LCD5) Display choiceC oroF6) Battery: 1.5V Ag13Inner packing: boxDimensions: 77 x 61 x 18 (cm)G.W.: 32.8gOuter packing:240pcs/cartonDimensions: 36.5 x 32 x 26 (cm)N.W.: 7.8kgG.W.: 9.6kg
    =============

So I can myself measure the temperature under that plate, If it is above the trigger temperature of -8C. Then I know it is the dirty coil and the other slightly on hot gas thing fault. Or that the compressor is not good enough.

But i doubt it because, last use in The Netherlands. All was working just fine. It is making ice and all. But again, we are in the tropics here and the ambience temperature in the icemaker wont allow a -8C. At least not so quickly.
    Last edited by xbox40489; 14-09-2012 at 07:05 AM.

The new thermostat for the ice maker thickness arrived. I still need to replace the other one to test it.

But I would like to have a digital thermometer on the side to test out the trigger temperature.

Or I just replace it and do a test without one.

I did a new test with the new thermostat for ice thickness.

Basicly the pump stopped pumping water after a while.

I found out the stop for the tank fell down and there was probably no water to be pumped so it went to freeze the whole thing.

But right now the pump stopped.

I dont have the water supply hose connected.

So I met the evaporator plate full of ice. white ice.

Not sure if this means the NEW ice thickness thermostat worked this time. But the pump stopped working.

But isnt the gas coil heater supposed to kick in and the defrost cycle kick in.

Not sure how to read this.

But I am letting it cool down and test it out another time probably with a water supply in.

I think the hot gas thing did not kick in.

If the pump stopped did any thermostat tell it to stop?

Cause it is now in the defrost mode?

Ok I left it to defrost and the pump is unblocked now. So the only thing that stops the pump is the ice thickness thermostat. It went up back to the 8 C and its free to spin.

And the compressor should be working too.

I attached back the stop of the watertank tightly this time filled the watertank with water and I am giving it another run.

I want to see it reach defrost mode....

The machine seems to be stuck in the icemaking mode. it wont go to harvest mode(defrost mode)!

Cause it has been making ice for 1 hr and a half.

but the no water thing did stop the pump from spinning! so what do i have to conclude from this? i need a thermometer to know what is going on the ice thickness thermostat.

So the problem is mostly narrowed down to:

Anything preventing the harvest cycle to kick in, but not the ice thickness thermometer or the ice bin thermometer.

Could be the solenoid inlet valve?

Or the hot gas thing?

If I change the solenoid inlet valve i would have replaced almost the 3 items on top.

and als I can suspect my wiring?

But the machine makes thick a thick slap of ice but I can not collect it....even though it take time to do so.

Anything you guys can suggest next? Can someone check my wires for me? I think I have plenty of video and pics in this thread.

Also under the evaporator plate where the capillar is squeezed of the ice thickness thermometer the thing is like in ice! so it is cold enough.
    ==

It must be something that prevents the harvest cycle to come in.

Can you in a way make the harvest cycle kick in?
    Last edited by xbox40489; 25-09-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Blog Entries

Re: k20 Ignis Blizzard icemaker issue with not starting still

Set ice thickness thermostat dial at middle position, close the lid, and if you have, put some ice in ice bin.
    Then leave it like that about 1 hour and see if it works correctly.

It is very important that ice bin have some ice in it and that lid is at place since ice thickness thermostat is affected with these.
    Last edited by nike123; 25-09-2012 at 06:13 AM.

IMG_2120.jpgIMG_2116.jpgI test it all with the lid closed for close to 2 hrs! With no ice though.

Oh you mean the fact the pump stopped working is a sign the harvest mode was active for a while?

I do not have ice. What I can do is save up a plate of ice made by the ice maker. And test it.

How much Ice do you want me to put in the bin?

Besides isnt it easier to have a thermometer to monitor the temperature of the capillar?

by the way i checked the dial on the ice thickness thermostat.

It was all the way on the plus side(+). Check the picture I uploaded on this message.

It came out of the box like that.

And put the dial arrow pointing to 6 oclock, I think you meant middle by that. Middle of + and -.

I will get some ice before I test it your way!

==

To explain to you all as well about the location of this icemaker. The ice maker is situated in a room where there supposed to be a wasmachine. It is a small room with a few windows.

On top of that I got a table model refrigerator under the ice machine which is working. Meaning it will push out hot air from its own condensor coil!!

Which makes the room even more warmer!

So I see a lot of obstacles in this room for the capillar to reach its -8 C trigger to harvest mode.

I can unplug the fridge when the icemaker is running for a test.
    Last edited by xbox40489; 26-09-2012 at 06:01 AM.

So i need to still give the icemaker another test with ice as nike123 suggested.

But can it be other stuff that broke? like the solenoid coil of the waterinletvalve? how can i test this item?

What do you suggest me replace? nike123!

I can have an item send to me again.

Or dont spend more money on replacing items?

I put a thermometer right inside the ice thickness thermostat spot underneath the evaporator.

The picture shows it reached -8+ C after less then 2 hrs and the slab of ice formed and all.

But the harvest cycle just wont kick in.

http://db.tt/l8PPxFNk
    Last edited by xbox40489; 17-12-2012 at 01:23 AM.

I put a digital thermometer's sensor right inside the ice thickness thermostat spot underneath the evaporator.

The picture shows it reached -8+ C after less then 2 hrs and the slab of ice formed and all.

But the harvest cycle just wont kick in.

how can you test the harvest cycle can someone instruct me how to|?

Any one has a test to me to test the harvest cycle?

I hope I can retry to fix this icemaker that has been driving me nuts!

I bought the good items for it. It might be even the wiring if I can say the items are working well. But the piece that heats up the evaporator.

I have not been able to test it yet when it is in harvest mode etc!

T.

WHIRLPOOL K20 Ice Maker Water Inlet SOLENOID VALVE BN

I ordered a new one for the icemaker. It is getting pretty desperate for this icemaker to have it working properly again, because I was already looking for a replacement.

What would you guys recommend?

I was looking at this model:

http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-GI15...pool+GI15NDXXS
    Last edited by xbox40489; 04-02-2013 at 12:27 PM.

WHIRLPOOL K20 Ice Maker Water Inlet SOLENOID VALVE BN

I have replaced the solenoid valve yesterday and the ice maker still does not change to the harvest cycle.

What else should I look up?

The wiring?

Is the thing down below working at all the heater next to the compressor?

If you turn the ice thickness all the way (anti clock wise I think) it should click an extra bit this should cause the machine to go onto a forced harvest if it clicks across but no change in its running then the stat is faulty( even a new stat on these aren't reliable) if it does I would look at the positioning of the stats capillary or if its been damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by 1mikeefc1 View Post
    If you turn the ice thickness all the way (anti clock wise I think) it should click an extra bit this should cause the machine to go onto a forced harvest if it clicks across but no change in its running then the stat is faulty( even a new stat on these aren't reliable) if it does I would look at the positioning of the stats capillary or if its been damaged.
    Oh then you are blaming the thickness stat?

I have already replaced it with a new one.

No change.

It used to do the forced harvest cycle and suddenly now it does not.

capillary has to be inspected?

It can possibly be the thickness stat? it is brand new. but you said it is unreliable.

If it doesn't force the harvest then the stat sounds faulty, when I mean check the capillary I mean the thickness stat capillary if its been snapped or nipped it will be no use as the charge in the stat itself will have been released. Is it still making a full sheet of ice ok?

It still makes a full sheet of ice. Look at the video above. The only thing it is not doing right is to change to the harvest cycle.

So another order of the ice thickness thermostat might do the job?

How do I know the ice thickness thermostat is working properly before even installing it?

If it doesn't force the harvest then the stat sounds faulty, when I mean check the capillary I mean the thickness stat capillary if its been snapped or nipped it will be no use as the charge in the stat itself will have been released. Is it still making a full sheet of ice ok?
    Last edited by xbox40489; 27-03-2013 at 10:57 PM.

To test before installing the only way is to continuity test across the terminals. Check the wiring diagram to find the normally open contact and test across and then click the stat to the harvest setting and test again. Personally if its in operation and on harvest setting and doesn't kick into harvest I would replace the stat again.

Blog Entries

How do I know the ice thickness thermostat is working properly before even installing it?
    It is explained in my earlier posts.
    If at -8°C temperature of thermostat phial and thermostat at minimum tchikness setting, it should switch to harvest cycle. If not, thermostat is faulty. Simple as that.

IMG_3003.jpgIMG_3001.jpgIMG_2999.jpg

I took the valve coil (defrost coil) out and tried to have a run.

After 1 hour and 22 min I see it formed a big slab of ice. Still no switching to harvest mode.

The ambient temperature is at: 29.9 degrees C.

At this point I shut off the machine. I think what nike123 says is true. I need to either accept they sold me a bad ice thickness stat.

I already bought two! So I do not know if this is the case twice the time a bad ice thickness stat.

On both I never had a click sound when turning it all the way to the minus side(turn it counter clockwise to the side of the minus)
    Last edited by xbox40489; 27-03-2013 at 11:08 PM.

run the ice machine with no water in, to see if the thickness stat finally cuts out- if it does then u need to check your gas pressures

By the way I purchased the ice thickness thermostat twice:

PHILIPS K20 / K40 ICE MACHINE ICE THICKNESS THERMOSTAT (130384719590)
    Member ID cateringparts | Feedback score of 32376 | 99.9% Get fast delivery and excellent service from eBay Top-rated sellers.
    Sale date: 21/08/12

£23.99

+ £9.99

postage & packaging

Sell this item
    View seller's other items
    More actions

====

PHILIPS K20 / K40 ICE MACHINE ICE THICKNESS THERMOSTAT (130384719590)
    Member ID cateringparts | Feedback score of 32376 | 99.9% Get fast delivery and excellent service from eBay Top-rated sellers.
    Sale date: 16/06/12

£23.99

+ £9.99

postage & packaging

Sell this item
    View seller's other items
    More actions

====

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-K2...item1e5b88eee6

the uk seller.

So I must be badluck brian if they ship twice a faulty non working thickness thermostat to me!

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    run the ice machine with no water in, to see if the thickness stat finally cuts out- if it does then u need to check your gas pressures

I think I did that in the past.

It will not cut out as you would expect.

But I will try it and let you know.

I ran the machine for 30 min straight without any water I emptied the tank of water.

It also turned the dial on the ice thickness thermostat. To see if it will click.

Nothing happened. So that does not trigger the harvest mode either.

I think I did that in the past.

It will not cut out as you would expect.

But I will try it and let you know.

Blog Entries

You could test ice thickness thermostat by putting its capillary in glass of water together with thermometer (K-type probe, for example) and placing that glass in freezer of your home fridge-freezer or standalone freezer. After some time it will reach temperature of -8°C to -15°C and switch OFF. You should check (with lamp connected in series) at what temperature it switches.

If that does not produce switching of thermostat contacts, or switching is outside of range of -8°C to -15°C than thermostat is faulty.

How do i do the lamp connected in series? That sounds dangerous.

Can i use a multimeter? or something less unpractical to test the energizing of the stat?

Quote Originally Posted by nike123 View Post
    How do i do the lamp connected in series? That sounds dangerous.

Can i use a multimeter? or something less unpractical to test the energizing of the stat?

IMG_3003.jpg

by the way the valve coil is easy to test?

the valve coil (defrost coil)

It has the ground(green yellow) and the blue and the black cables.

How do i test it is 100%?

Your faults not with the coil your supply to the coil isn't being sent from the stat so won't harvest re-replace the stat.

Oh ok I will leave the coil alone for now.

I want to order the thermostat but it will be a 3rd time i will order it maybe i should have a test like nike123 suggested or just reorder and worry about it later.

Because I want to see it working.

Untitled.png

If you test the two you've removed before you order one then? When the stats on its maximum ice thickness setting test continuity between the terminals then click it to forced harvest and test the same again, one will have continuity through and one won't if this isn't the case then these stats are definitely faulty.

If you test the two you've removed before you order one then? When the stats on its maximum ice thickness setting test continuity between the terminals then click it to forced harvest and test the same again, one will have continuity through and one won't if this isn't the case then these stats are definitely faulty.
    hello i have a broken one here the one that came with the ice maker machine.

i tested the continuity quickly.

it does not give you a closed circuit.

but the capillar is broken.

the ice thickness stat prevents the signal to get through?

so meaning if you have continuity you have the harvest mode on.

so i should get the continuity when i get the stat out of the freezer because is has been -8C and beyond in the freezer to keep the terminals connected untill it reaches below -8C etc.?

It doesn't need to be in a freezer just wind it all the way anti clock wise and a bit more until it click off. This is when the stat is in its forced harvest position.

I should have the wiring good but just in case,

here are the pics of the wiring!

if you have an icemaker of k20 compare them and let me know.

ice thickness thermostat.jpgice bin full thermostat.jpginlet valve solenoid.jpgblue green switch.jpgconnector to the pump.jpg

if you cannot move it to a cooler location- can u blow air onto the condenser inlet to see if the bugger goes into harvest mode- if the evap makes ice,ice is an insulator and your thickness stat does click when you test it in the freezer- then it may just be out its operating limits- as most uk systems 30deg is the time when they start to fail, theres a site im going to in the next few weeks,there was an old k20/k40- will have a look if its still there to take a piccy of the wiring for you

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast