Whirlpool K40 Ice maker - No ice!

Hi, I was wondering if someone out ther could help.

I have a Whirlpool K40 which stopped making Ice. When I open the lid I found the pump running but no water being pumped. The pump had got very hot so after it had cooled I manually filled the water reseviour. Pump now circulates water but condensor doesn't freeze (compressor doesnt kick in). If I empty reseviour it doesnt refill.

I assume it must be one of the stats or gas valve, any suggestions?

Cheers
    Jon

Re: Whirlpool K40 Ice maker - No ice!

First check that the clean out switch (blue button on the control panel) has not been pushed in.
    This when pushed in will allow the pump to run but keeps the refrigeration system off.
    If this is Ok, disconnect the pump, remove one of the electrical connections to the pump and turn the control thermostat on the rear of the machine to the coldest setting (clockwise) and see if the refrigeration system starts, if it does allow it to go through a cycle with pump disconnected you should be able to observe the system freeze, then go into a harvest cycle and also check to see if it fills with water during the harvest cycle.
    If the refrigeration system does not start when turned on as above, short out the control thermostat and see if it runs, if it does not check the bin thermostat by shorting out this also.

Best of luck, keep us posted with you progress.
    Location, United Kingdom

Hi B G,

thanks for suggestions which i have just tried..

front switch in off pos and tested.

Disconnected pump and then turned temp thermo to full right (coldest), still no freezing and no water in. tested temp thermo, found on (obviously due to unit temp ambient). disconnected wire to test open, no change.

then checked other thermo (marked as cube size), found on (again due to unit temp ambient). disconnected wire to test open, water inlet opens but still no freeze.

I am thinking its something to do with compressor?

cheers.

jon

OK, when the machine is turned on does the condenser fan motor run?
    Can you hear/feel the compressor running?
    Location, United Kingdom

fan works but no compressor!

jonsc

test ur getting voltage in and out the ice thickness stat- if so then ur klixon is open circuit or you compressor is at fault

OK you might be lucky and it is just a defective, start relay or overload.
    Worst case you have a faulty compressor.
    First pull off the relay and Klixon (thermal overload) check the compressor windings with a multimeter.
    I don't know your level of experience but please excuse the basics if you have done this before, no insult intended.
    You will note that there are three terminals on the compressor, in most cases the configuration is triangular, the one terminal by its self is usually the common, measure the resistance between this terminal and the the other two in turn and make a note of the readings.
    Then measure the readings between the other two terminals and make a note of this reading.
    If the windings of the compressor are sound then the two reading you took between the start and run windings to the common terminal should approximate the readings you have taken between the other two, IE the start and run terminals ( hope that is clear)
    If the tests as above prove OK then you either have a faulty relay/overload or worst case a seized compressor.
    Remedy, fit a replacement relay overload assy either the exact model for the compressor or an electronic equivalent and test the compressor directly without the other controls is circuit, if it runs observe the current via an amprobe and see how this compares to the name plate amps on the unit, if it is within tolerances let it run and observe the temperature of the evaporator for a short while, not too long as without the condenser fan running the system will get to a point where it is not condensing.
    If the evaporator starts to cool, reconnect the system and them observe the full cycle.

Best of luck.
    Location, United Kingdom