Thread: vacuum pump oil

vacuum pump oil

Can you use vacuum pump oil in your air compressor at home, without damaging it?

Re: vacuum pump oil

Hi, Refer.Madness

Quote Originally Posted by Refer. Madness View Post
    Can you use vacuum pump oil in your air compressor at home, without damaging it?
    I think it is not advisable ... why ... vacuum pump oil is highly hygroscopic, but we can remove that moisture/water from vacuum pump by closing suction valve and run the pump for some time to evaporate that moisture ... also, lubrication oil within vacuum pump serves for lubrication and for sealing also running at lower temperature ... that is not the case with air compressors (running at higher pressure and higher temperature), thus lubrication of your air compressor will be with a kind of emulsion (mechanical mixture of water and oil) and after some time is possible to have some deterioration in bearings or between piston and cylinder, even during stand still, due to the water within oil corrosion will attack your compressor ... must say I have not such experience, but I'll suggest you to use appropriate air compressor lubrication oil, it is a small amount and not expensive ... this is my opinion (I can be wrong), but let's wait for some other members with, maybe, some different experience ....

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

I heard that air compressor oil is generally cheap crap & vacuum pump oil is a good alternative.

Had a customer do this with a big comercial air compressor, eventually threw a rod...
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)