Coalescing filter element

Hey guys...
    I have a running post to solve my oil carry over issue with the Bitzer screw though i have coalescing filter inside the separator.

Some RE members/frenz suggested me to check out the damaged coalscing element and gave many other suggestions.

So just thought i should first know what the recommended element.

Can anybody please suggest me some good coalescing media papers from some good companies(Holingsworth and Vose is my current choice)?
    I will be so grateful to get some catalogues directly or atleast some model names.

Thank You in advance

PS:I would like if the suggestions give me the names of companies available in INDIA

Re: Coalescing filter element

HEY
    Sorry forgot to mention that the filter is of wrap-around type, designed manufactured & supplied by a local company using HOVO filter media.The area has been calculated from the catalogue and the flow of the screw compressor i.e. 535 m3/hr.

Hi vihang.

There are many reasons why a coalescer fails to capture the correct amount of oil.
    But if you are as you say using a locally made copy.

How are you ever going to know you are starting from the same point as a OEM filter.

Oil carry over can be caused by simply having the compressor running for to long unloaded. Or even how the rest of the plant is setup!

Conversely running with to high a gas flow / pressure diff.
    Will blow the oil through the coalescor rather than it being gathered up by the filter.

As to what material is used by the suppliers to Bitzer, perhaps buying an original and having it analysed is the way to go.

Most of the ones I use I would describe as more like a strainer than filter, with mesh gauze of varying sizes.
    Which forms oil droplets as the oil soaked discharge gas flows through it, these droplets then drop off the filter as they grow in size.
    Grizzly
    Last edited by Grizzly; 05-06-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Hey grizly
    Thanx for replying...
    We had an original bitzer seperator which we had to replace...the risn being ineff. Seperatn...
    It gives more than 2 ppm oil carry over..
    The coalescer.they have used is from dominic hunter...
    Morover the casing of the paper melted at 100 d C while testing..my disch can go to that value.
    So wat I did waz.i took.the cut piece of the sample of coalscer and analysed...sent the specs to Hovo people...and they recommended the currently used paper media...bt it doent work properly..

Hi, vihang

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Hi vihang.

There are many reasons why a coalescer fails to capture the correct amount of oil.
    But if you are as you say using a locally made copy.

How are you ever going to know you are starting from the same point as a OEM filter.

Oil carry over can be caused by simply having the compressor running for to long unloaded. Or even how the rest of the plant is setup!

Conversely running with to high a gas flow / pressure diff.
    Will blow the oil through the coalescor rather than it being gathered up by the filter.

As to what material is used by the suppliers to Bitzer, perhaps buying an original and having it analysed is the way to go.

Most of the ones I use I would describe as more like a strainer than filter, with mesh gauze of varying sizes.
    Which forms oil droplets as the oil soaked discharge gas flows through it, these droplets then drop off the filter as they grow in size.

Grizzly
    Grizzly, please, see this
    http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?35741-Issues-with-screw-comparison-with-recip

and, please, replay with your valuable suggestion/s ...

Quote Originally Posted by vihang View Post
    Hey grizly
    Thanx for replying...
    We had an original bitzer seperator which we had to replace...the risn being ineff. Seperatn...
    It gives more than 2 ppm oil carry over..
    The coalescer.they have used is from dominic hunter...
    Morover the casing of the paper melted at 100 d C while testing..my disch can go to that value.
    So wat I did waz.i took.the cut piece of the sample of coalscer and analysed...sent the specs to Hovo people...and they recommended the currently used paper media...bt it doent work properly..
    I'm not sure, but I do not remember paper made coalescer element within ammonia plant ... some oil filter on Bitzer units yes, but not in oil separator .... the same with Mycom units for oil ... but coalescer element not ... it should be in metal frame/wire mesh due to high temperature in that area and paper glue is not resistant enough ....

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

The BITZER already has the OAC oil separator combined. At few years ago we had to buy the primary oil separator and the secondary oil separator.
    To make progress is never good enough, I want to do better and better and better

You can try out ss pleated filter cartridge which can sustain higher temps ......try out ultrafilter in india ...they might be of help in fabricating one to suit yr spec