NH3 Refrigiraiton Plant Components

Hi Guys,

I need some advice from the pro's! We are doing an asset register for a local municipality and as part of this process we need to componentize their NH3 cooling units at the local Fresh Produce market. The units are very very old and if replaced it needs to be replaced with modern units as the old units arent manufactured anymore.

To give some detail of what we can see about the refrigiration units, there are 4 compressors each running of a 50kw motor supplying cooling and freezing to a total of 40 refrigeration\freezer\ripening rooms with a total area of around 1280m2.

So what I need in summary is the basic serviceable component that would make up a typical system like this. We can see the motors and the compressors with the NH3 tanks but thats about where our knowledge about this ends. If you guys can provide a breakdown or point to a resource (web based or local RSA) it would be appreciated. When I say serviceable lets talk major parts and not nuts and bolts.

i.e.
    Compressor
    - Compressor tank
    - Compressor motor
    Motor
    - Motor
    - Filter
    - Pipes
    NH3 Tank
    Pipes???
    etc. as you can see very limited knowledge

Thanks for the info guys. Please ask if you need more info.

Re: NH3 Refrigiraiton Plant Components

Hi guys, any info?

Hi, MaX_ZA

Quote Originally Posted by MaX_ZA View Post
    Hi Guys,

I need some advice from the pro's! We are doing an asset register for a local municipality and as part of this process we need to componentize their NH3 cooling units at the local Fresh Produce market. The units are very very old and if replaced it needs to be replaced with modern units as the old units arent manufactured anymore.

To give some detail of what we can see about the refrigiration units, there are 4 compressors each running of a 50kw motor supplying cooling and freezing to a total of 40 refrigeration\freezer\ripening rooms with a total area of around 1280m2.

So what I need in summary is the basic serviceable component that would make up a typical system like this. We can see the motors and the compressors with the NH3 tanks but thats about where our knowledge about this ends. If you guys can provide a breakdown or point to a resource (web based or local RSA) it would be appreciated. When I say serviceable lets talk major parts and not nuts and bolts.

i.e.
    Compressor
    - Compressor tank
    - Compressor motor
    Motor
    - Motor
    - Filter
    - Pipes
    NH3 Tank
    Pipes???
    etc. as you can see very limited knowledge

Thanks for the info guys. Please ask if you need more info.
    I'm sorry, (English is not my mother tongue), but if I understood you well, you need some sources/manufacturers of mentioned items/major parts of the system ...

It is not that easy ... in my opinion you need to ask an offer for revamping or complete new installation of refrigeration plant as per your needs ... of course from a few different companies specialized for installation of cooling/freezing ammonia plants ....

I'm sure you will receive a very cheap offers for plants with "green" gases - *****s, but you must request an ammonia plant.

Hope this will help you a little ... if not, ask what else you need!

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

In order from compressor

compressor
    oil seperator with oil return float
    compressor motor
    electrical switchgear & controls

condenser (possibly air purger)
    condenser fans,water pumps

high pressure liquid reciever sight glass, relief valves

next possibly one or all of following

-surge drum with evaporator (air cooler) or
    - recirculator vessel with liquid recirculation pumps & air coolers in each room
    -suction trap
    - oil drain vessel

general

stop valves
    non return valves
    filter
    solenoid
    pressure relief valve
    pressure regulating valve

Maybe you need a full scematic of a system with parts & components?