Thread: compressor oil

Hybrid View

compressor oil

hi
    1 question
    when replacing compressor
    some body
    sayed that i must turn on compressor separately before installing to make it throw out its oil outside
    somebody say you must flip up it to throw its oil
    is that true or not
    Power consists not in being able to strike another but in being able to control oneself when anger arises

Re: compressor oil

Not .....A compressor is not much use without oil in it.
    It is however good practice to tip the oil out of the old one and measure the amount in it.
    Cheers
    Stu
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

sorry you didnt undestand me
    i mean if i have new compressor
    must i turn on compressor separately before installing to make it throw out its oil outside
    somebody say you must flip up it to throw its oil
    Power consists not in being able to strike another but in being able to control oneself when anger arises

No I understood you perfectly.
    Don't do it....
    Cheers
    Stu

Ehrm,

In one word:

NO.

(First of all, with modern systems and compressors the oil is hygroscopic and will become acidic when exposed to moisture, as in air. YOU DO NOT WANT TO EXPOSE THE INNARDS OF YOUR NEW COMPRESSOR TO ANY MORE AIR THAN YOU NEED TO. Secondly, but equally important, the oil in your new compressor is the cleanest oil in that system, if any oil needs getting rid of it is whatever dirty oil is left in the system. Also remember that the compressor you are taking out is likely to contain a lot of the oil it originally were supplied with)

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    remember that the compressor you are taking out is likely to contain a lot of the oil it originally were supplied with)

so you mean that there is no need to take out any oil from new compressor

remember that the compressor you are taking out is likely to contain a lot of the oil it originally were supplied with)

Quote Originally Posted by kefah View Post
    Yes, that is what i mean.
    If oil need to be removed it should be removed from the system, always use the cleanest oil possible.

Another thing for you to think of...
    The only way to remove all the oil from a compressor is to pour it out, by ports or drilled hole but poured out all the same.
    By running the compressor you will only manage to get a small amount out. (And are you sure you really want to run the compressor dry?

If the reason is as Stu says above, a compatibility issue, then see previous paragraph above...

Yes, that is what i mean.
    If oil need to be removed it should be removed from the system, always use the cleanest oil possible.

Another thing for you to think of...
    The only way to remove all the oil from a compressor is to pour it out, by ports or drilled hole but poured out all the same.
    By running the compressor you will only manage to get a small amount out. (And are you sure you really want to run the compressor dry?
    Not true! you can use the vac pump to suck out the oil from the compressor. Although I have only seen it done on belt driven or semi-mermetique compressors. easy, simple oil changes and quick XD

on a semi hermetic there should be a drain plug to empty the oil out- you can use a vac pump to pull the oil into the system by pulling a vac on the body and have a gaugeline or copper pipe into the oil can- as for vaccing oil out of a compressor with a vac pump-not recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakabus View Post
    Not true! you can use the vac pump to suck out the oil from the compressor. Although I have only seen it done on belt driven or semi-mermetique compressors. easy, simple oil changes and quick XD

i saw many people flip up new compressor
    when i asked them why you do that
    they answered me they do to make compressor throw out its oil
    i asked why they answered me if didnt do that oil will block ref system

It sounds like they were avoiding mixing mineral and POE oil's.
    Much easier if you get the right fookin compressor in the first place.
    Cheers
    Stu

Jakabus.
    In defence of Viking I think he like most of us are assuming we are talking about small hermetic compressors.
    After all who would suggest flipping the size compressors you are talking about.
    Not those of us which I include Viking with years of experience of working on them.

If you read the posts again it is not difficult to work out that it's small hermetic comps that are being discussed.

When jumping in to criticise please take time before doing so.

Because often the posts have to become quite long before all the relevant facts become clear.
    Grizzly.

install monkey,
    the vac pump is conected to a container, like a oil seperator. you skrew it in to the compressor oil bung/plug cover thing. well where it goes. saves you unbolting it. the part that goes into the compressor reaches down to the bottom of the sump. no where ells is open on the system ofcorse. we done it so we could give oil changes. let us see what the oil was like and how much was in there.

oil.jpg

That's how i drain um.... none of that vac pump nonsense! Pull a vac on the body and use a hose to pull the oil in from can, or if the compressor is big enough simply pour it it, hose connected to sightglass 1/4 connection and compressor tipped forward. But each to their own...

Jay