Stuck stem valves

Just curious as to if any of you guys have a trick or something to free up stuck service port stem valves on semi hermatic compressors. Running into quite a few and whacking them usually works at freeing them up, but lately it`s not working. Is their something else to try and free them up without changing out ?

Re: Stuck stem valves

A bit of heat on the valve body perhaps?
    ...and she said "give it to me you big fridgie"

Quote Originally Posted by jakb21599 View Post
    Just curious as to if any of you guys have a trick or something to free up stuck service port stem valves on semi hermatic compressors. Running into quite a few and whacking them usually works at freeing them up, but lately it`s not working. Is their something else to try and free them up without changing out ?
    Do you mean in the backseated position or just generally tight?
    Only had some new, rotor-lock service valves that could not be moved off back-seat, so i used the oxy flame to heat the valve body. (fast but not too much heat) Use a wet rag to protect gland packing. Ratchet in the valve stem then cool valve body slowly.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

As above but I have released the packing gland and found that helps sometimes.

taz