410A Residential A/C Liquid Pressure Very High and Can't Get Any Subcooling

Hi Guys,

I ran into this problem the other day and have yet to figure it out. I'm dealing with your basic 2.5 ton Amana 14.5seer 410a system. The unit was installed over the winter in a new house and was never tested. Of course it happened that there was a leak so I was sent to recharge it. I've done this many times before and I just couldn't get a good amount of sub cooling this time. Also the liquid line pressure was very high. It was gliding from 400psi to 600psi. The ambient temperature was 80F and my liquid line was 59F. I figured it was the typical undercharge causing no sub cooling but as I slowly "flashed" the 410 into the system the liquid line pressure just kept climbing. I know it wasn't a matter of adding the refrigerant to fast so I ruled that out and I scaled the proper charge into the system. My concern was that the installers left the factory orifice in the evaporator as well as installed a txv. Of course it just happened to be that day I forgot my reclaimer and the compressor started to over amp when I tried to suck the unit back. Any suggestions would be great. I'm sure I know what I need to do already but any extra help would be greatly appreciated. If I take it back apart and don't find that orifice I imagine the usual reclaim retest and recharge is the way to go. Thanks for your help guys.

Re: 410A Residential A/C Liquid Pressure Very High and Can't Get Any Subcooling

hi deaner,
    would get a a/c company in who can reclaim 410a, pressure test with ofn , vac out and gas up , = sedgy