Wink Embraco compressor help needed. EGY 90 HLP

Hi Experts,

I have to say, even though I am a very technical person, HVAC/mechanical is amazing to me. I hope that's what you call it. .
    Anyway, I want to make a homemade compressor and found a brand new Embraco EGY 90 HLPW in the box for 10.00. I 'think' I found the discharge line but have some questions.
    1. can I just connect the discharge line to my tank via some pressure relief valves, gauges, switches, etc., (safety first)?
    2. When I oil it what oil can I use and where do I put it in?
    3. How much oil would I use?
    4. How much time should I allow for the unit to rest before it kicks back on? How long should I wait before panicking that it's broken?
    5. Any 'gotchas' with the Embraco product line?

I am using some You Tube videos to try this. If it breaks, nothing lost.
    Thanks
    Rick in Roseville, CA

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Embraco compressor help needed. EGY 90 HLP

Hi Rick and welcome to the forum.

Download the following Embraco pdf file it will give you pictures and data relating to your compressor. There should be 3 tubes on your model, one suction, one discharge and one process. Plug the process, you don't need it.
    http://www.embraco.com/desktopmodule...ivos/03032.pdf

The compressor is rated at a maximum of 300psi under certain conditions.

Yes it would be a good idea to fit a high pressure switch to cut out the unit before it goes pop. Remember that these compressors are normally cooled by the refrigerant vapour being sucked back from the circuit, it sounds like you are just using this as an 'air compressor' so don't run it for too long without checking for overheating.

The compressor already has oil in it, the type is detailed in the above pdf.

Generally compressors need at least 3 to 5 minutes before restarting but that is assuming that they are being cooled by refrigerant return. If you keep restarting then the motor windings will begin to overheat and burn out.

Have fun with it and don't forget to get the correct starter for it .
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

with reference to question 4 you need to size the your tank to allow for sufficient vvolume, whilst your compressor has cut out on the pressure switch so you dont loose too much pressure during heavy use- also this will allow the compressor to cool down too- then send us a link to your video so we can admire your handywork-another tip-as you probably know typical air compressor vessels operating pressure is 120psi- cut out with ur blow off set for 150psi and fit a non return valve and a bleed plug so your compressor doesnt start up with 120psi load= it will last longer
    -good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyg View Post
    Hi Experts,

I have to say, even though I am a very technical person, HVAC/mechanical is amazing to me. I hope that's what you call it. .
    Anyway, I want to make a homemade compressor and found a brand new Embraco EGY 90 HLPW in the box for 10.00. I 'think' I found the discharge line but have some questions.
    1. can I just connect the discharge line to my tank via some pressure relief valves, gauges, switches, etc., (safety first)?
    2. When I oil it what oil can I use and where do I put it in?
    3. How much oil would I use?
    4. How much time should I allow for the unit to rest before it kicks back on? How long should I wait before panicking that it's broken?
    5. Any 'gotchas' with the Embraco product line?

I am using some You Tube videos to try this. If it breaks, nothing lost.
    Thanks
    Rick in Roseville, CA
    Last edited by install monkey; 14-05-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: keyboard skills hindered by beer

Quote Originally Posted by rickyg View Post
    Hi Experts,

Anyway, I want to make a homemade compressor ...
    I suppose you want an AIR compressor, if so you should know:

- Refrigeration compressors are designed to work in oxygen free atmospheres if you use them with air all inner surfaces not covered with oil will rust.

- They discharge oil so you will get an oily mist. You can install an oil separator, the tank will not be a good enough separator as this mist will not separate from the main flow unless it encounters an obstacle (like a mesh). Even then the efficiency of separation is not 100%. This makes the compressor unsuitable for some applications like high quality paint or dental, etc.

- Due to the oil discharge you have to continually refill oil. This is difficult to do unless you install a sight glass in the compressor.

- You have a fuel (oil mist) and air and heat (of compression) so you MUST install a safety valve besides the high pressure switch. The compressor can go well above 300 psi with a restricted discharge.

Please put the embraco on ebay and buy an (air side) oil-less compressor!
    Well, did anybody ever dream of calling Aramis a coward? No, certainly not!