is this big enough to read

anitfrzrefrig5.JPG

text check.

Re: is this big enough to read

I posted this as an image test thinking I could delete it and put it in the propper forum

Here on the farm in Ohio, while prepping my father's trailer camper to sell he asked me to look at the camper fridge and figure out why it wasn't chilling. I looked it up on the net. Cleaned the burner stack. Tapped the top a few (in case of ammonia crystals) and now it works.

I designed, built and installed a 375 gallon, water jacketed, forced air, wood burner with solar pre-heater/economizer, thermostat control, to heat my father's house/water. I regret not having known about wood gasification before I built the thing but I believe I can reconfigure the water jacketed fire box as is to pull the heat from the exhaust of a higher efficiency gasifier to be built next to it. As is the thing probably puts over 150,000 BTU into the water circuit at full burn.

Since I experienced refrigeration by heat at the camper refrigerator it got me thinking on how to use the wood burner to lower dad's cooling costs. I've been investigating for over a week now and drew up a possible usable sketch of something I could put together.

So before I go on an assembly spree: Given some tinkering and adjustment. Approx how cold would the water around the evaporation tank be? Would the system in this drawing chill the water to the heat ex-changer enough to cool a house now using a conventional 3 ton AC. If not is there some other refrigerant(that doesn't require training to handle) that would work? methanol maybe?

Drawn on Microsoft paint.

aqueous ethylene glycol 50/50 mix, 1 atmosphere boiling point around 230F: 0.1 atmosphere around 160F,
    freezing point around -30F

Fluid Latent Heat of Evaporation (kJ/kg) (Btu/lb)

ammonia 1369 589
    ethylene glycol 800 344
    water 2257 970.4

Anyone that wants, feel free to shoot holes in my sketch or send advice.

Where do you want it moving to?

First guess; technical speculations since i'm asking for speculation on whether this is a viable refrigeration technique

I just read the thread started by US Iceman about LPA (Liquid Pressure Amplification). Some kind of LPA pump might do well in this system. Now I'm wondering if it would be better placed before the evaporator where the liquid is hot and fluid with more supply or after the evaporator where the liquid would be cool and more viscous (5 cP for 50/50 solution at 50F)

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Where do you want it moving to?
    Too late now as it's officially moved

You are looking at this wrong.
    Check JET refrigeration, it may help you!

Long time since I’ve studied this, and I don’t have experience in absorption systems but …

I wouldn’t use the fumes of the furnace directly as they may be too corrosive.

For this same reason I wouldn’t use any potentially flammable fluids.

This narrows products so much that absorption may be inefficient to use pumps.

I don’t see a collector for the refrigerant in the generator.

If you use a pump you must keep the correct flow ratios and this affects the generator size.
    Well, did anybody ever dream of calling Aramis a coward? No, certainly not!