how to GET STARTED in an HVAC environment?

i am a recent graduate of mechanical engineering and i recently got a job in a international complex housing shopping malls and executive offices.i am deputed to a chiller plant room.though i know the basics of an absorption system,the very sight of a plant room seems too FRIGHTENING..all so much integrated..pumps,chillers,,chemical dosing pumps,headers,,bypassess,,controls,,sensors,,discharge lines going to the service areas such as office buildings,,shopping malls etc...how to go about this dilemma?how and where should i start?changing which parameters alters the operations of the whole system?...etc...need sound advice..thank you

Re: how to GET STARTED in an HVAC environment?

Hi, start knowing your system and you will become more confident as you become familiar with it.

Take the dust off drawings and flow charts and compare them with the site information and bring them up to date.

Take notes on all the settings, make a plan for collecting data and only by doing this you will be able to make plans for your next steps.

Good luck in your new job!
    Well, did anybody ever dream of calling Aramis a coward? No, certainly not!

thank you aramis,,,but still,any suggestions of how to break things down into categories?..more about simplifying things ...

Quote Originally Posted by aramis View Post
    Hi, start knowing your system and you will become more confident as you become familiar with it.

Take the dust off drawings and flow charts and compare them with the site information and bring them up to date.

Take notes on all the settings, make a plan for collecting data and only by doing this you will be able to make plans for your next steps.

Good luck in your new job!

OK, supposing you are already familiar with your system and you have all the flow diagrams showing all the valves up to date and an excel sheet with all the settings, plus all the equipment identified by brand, model, year of manufacture, guarantee status, emergency contact information and you’ve been paid your first salary then it’s time to go here: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/0831131543 , spend 50 bucks (with shipping) and start reading!
    Well, did anybody ever dream of calling Aramis a coward? No, certainly not!

aramis by flow diagram you mean the schematics?..please elaborate on the excel sheet thing you talked about...thank you.i am just too eager to learn as soon as i can so that i am in a position to take charge of operations.

Quote Originally Posted by aramis View Post
    OK, supposing you are already familiar with your system and you have all the flow diagrams showing all the valves up to date and an excel sheet with all the settings, plus all the equipment identified by brand, model, year of manufacture, guarantee status, emergency contact information and you’ve been paid your first salary then it’s time to go here: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/0831131543 , spend 50 bucks (with shipping) and start reading!