Flexible Refrigerant Tubing

Hello.

A local hardware store has affordable flexible PVC tubing (the type that looks like it has a white pattern of threads on it, i'm sure you've seen it) that is rated at 370 PSI, could I safely use that to attach the 12,000 BTU compressor to my copper tubing?

(as an extension so I won't need as much copper tubing, which has become obscenely expensive here)

Visit http://www.kompulsa.com/ for technology news, reviews, and more. Twitter: Kompulsa.

Re: Flexible Refrigerant Tubing

This is what the tubing looks like: http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j0...e-PVC-Hose.jpg
    Visit http://www.kompulsa.com/ for technology news, reviews, and more. Twitter: Kompulsa.

No! No! No!
    You had better take out some insurance as the way you are heading.
    Means that someone is going to get hurt.
    Your posts are getting worse.
    You sure you are not training to be a comedian?
    Oh! I recommend Jubilee clips! and a long screwdriver!
    Grizzly

The only place that pipe is fit for in an AC system is to form part of the drain.

370psi is on the pressure limit of many AC refrigerant so the pipe/tube will have to be able to withstand much higher pressures to be considered.
    Compressor discharge can get to around 90*C (or more if short of gas). This will make the hose softer and liable to burst with the associated discharge pressures.

Doubt you'll find any fixings to cope with the pressures involved.

Shame really, it would make a good vibration eliminator.

Cheers,
    Andy.
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

Kompulsa

there is only two answers to your question

1. your on a wind up

2. your in need of lots of training/supervision

R's chillerman
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 26-10-2011 at 10:41 PM.
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

The way i see it, best to ask us first than go ahead and try it anyway. We may just have saved someone from serious injury.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    The way i see it, best to ask us first than go ahead and try it anyway. We may just have saved someone from serious injury.
    Mike

''us'' hmmm

how many bottles of rum have you drunk tonight ??

''us'' you sure this is not one of 'yous' ?

R's chillerman
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 26-10-2011 at 10:40 PM.

my daughter has fell of the chair laughing at that post- this has surely got to be a sticky thread now-haha

G,day C.M. Just trying to keep an open mind. Spent last night sleeping, after a six pack and 1/2 hour in the shower with scrubbing brush trying to remove grease/oil and muck off from yesterdays drama at the abattoir.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    G,day C.M. Just trying to keep an open mind. Spent last night sleeping, after a six pack and 1/2 hour in the shower with scrubbing brush trying to remove grease/oil and muck off from yesterdays drama at the abattoir.
    Hi Mike

argh I see, on the lighter stuff tonight

you taking Kompulsa under your wing & training him up are you ?

R's chillerman
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 26-10-2011 at 03:11 AM.

Thought you might have forgotten that. The wave of the hand is not working so well then. Suggest O.P. stay with copper pipe for his air-conditioner but will need a sight glass if he wants to see the fluids moving.

Hi Mike

me forget nah, forgot what I was gonna say now though

R's chillerman
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 26-10-2011 at 03:13 AM.

No one should be laughing about using this type of hose, check this video....lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P9g_...eature=related

Hi Tex

am still laughing here, the video shows it being used for liquid line

on a system that is undercharged, roughly 50*c sct @ 8barg to 9barg

& jubilee clips are not quite industry standard for connecting tubework are they ?

leak tight/safe, I dont think so, do you ?

all that video shows mate is there are more just as dangerous in the world
    another good chuckle though

R's chillerman

What are people trying to prove, just that they can do it? There are idiots trying to use PEX tubing to run to solar panels that stagnate at 200C and 6 bar and they can't really expect things to last....

The OP has more time on his hands than good sense, I suspect, but at least he is asking first even if the questions are a bit odd (been there, done that, and will do it again I'm sure)

Grizzly and some others were ill mannered and overreacted. I asked because I have seen people use flexible refrigerant lines.

Don't expect me to know much about this, I never took any refrigeration courses. I told you already that am just learning about this.

I see nothing wrong with asking questions, whether out of curiosity or before I actually try something because that does prevent accidents sometimes, which is why I have never seriously injured myself when doing anything at all. I have a very good safety track record because I always ask experts first. So mikeref is correct.

The standard operating pressure of my compressor is actually 298 psi, which is far less than 375 which is what the tube is rated at, that is why I asked. Don't make "looney bin" remarks, that is offensive, chillerman.

The point about the plastic tubing, apart from its longevity, is that the gasses will eventually get out and they are ozone depleting gasses. No one likes to go back to a job and constantly maintain any system especially when it is on their dime so we do what we can to give it longevity. Some processes used now come from trial and error years ago and for high pressure and temp, so far not much beats copper and brazing, labourious and expensive as it may be.

One more thing: I wanted it for the low pressure side which is 45-85 psi which is 290 to 330 psi lower during operation, so my question isn't as crazy as you think. As for the temperature, you already know that the low pressure side is not hot enough to cause a problem with the tube. The high pressure side will always be copper, and I know that the pressure while it is off will still be far less than even the 298 psi that the high pressure side operates at.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHolm View Post
    The point about the plastic tubing, apart from its longevity, is that the gasses will eventually get out and they are ozone depleting gasses. No one likes to go back to a job and constantly maintain any system especially when it is on their dime so we do what we can to give it longevity. Some processes used now come from trial and error years ago and for high pressure and temp, so far not much beats copper and brazing, labourious and expensive as it may be.
    Why do the gases leak out? Are there pores that they escape through in the tubing? Or is it something else?

Also, I am for using tried and tested methods, but I should add that I am the type of person that is always for research, development, experimentation, and hence improvement, i'm not referring to PVC tubes in this sentence.

Thank you for your assistance.
    Last edited by Kompulsa; 26-10-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kompulsa View Post
    Grizzly and some others were ill mannered and overreacted. I asked because I have seen people use flexible refrigerant lines.

Don't expect me to know much about this, I never took any refrigeration courses. I told you already that am just learning about this.

I see nothing wrong with asking questions, whether out of curiosity or before I actually try something because that does prevent accidents sometimes, which is why I have never seriously injured myself when doing anything at all. I have a very good safety track record because I always ask experts first. So mikeref is correct.

The standard operating pressure of my compressor is actually 298 psi, which is far less than 375 which is what the tube is rated at, that is why I asked. Don't make "looney bin" remarks, that is offensive, chillerman.
    This thread should be locked . I

Kompulsa,
    PE tubing will transfer O2 and other small molecule gasses over time. This is why we have O2 barriers on PEX tubing used in the heating industry. Without it O2 would migrate into the liquid or gas and with moisture, corrode ferris components. No longevity, bad practice.

Hi Kompulsa

apologies if comment offended you - will edit the post

it will not work on the low side of the system either

as diss-similar materials expand/contarct at different rates

and as unit cycles on/off will leak & thats IF it holds in the first place

copper tube + silver solder all joints... Industry standard for many years - for good reason

R's chillerman

Kompulsa.
    You in your own words are "Quote" A novice.

I am offended by your attitude.
    Sorry but I don't see this forum as a training school for novices.
    Have a bit of respect for the years of knowledge available.

However you explain your questions in hindsight!
    Many are just stupid.

Improve the standard of your questions and you may get a quite different answer.
    From me anyway.
    Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Sorry but I don't see this forum as a training school for novices.
    Hi Grizzly

I did think that myself mate but was not sure if anyone would agree

Maybe a novice/newbie section that is the only place newcomers can post until approved by the boss/moderators as capable of contributing to the general forum, this would certainly help with the one hit wonders of domestic owners

the only problem with that though mate, with our lack of knowledge, we could be stuck there a very long time and moi even longer for suggesting more work for the mods

R's chillerman

Edit: [shoot myself in both feet with both barrels, now] And instead of infractions you get demoted back to newbie posting restrictions
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 26-10-2011 at 11:18 PM.

Fellows,
    Where would I be if we adopted the sectioning out of people who come on this fine forum. I am not an accredited Fridgie Engineer (tho I am working towards it), but i am a heating engineer (no...not a plumber...don't fix toilets). Different sections would be good but only if fellows like myself are given their due. For my intents are noble, bla, bla, bla (shut that guy up, you are saying)

Therefore I have the solution for all your problems:

May i present......
    Hockley Dark.jpg

A fine addition to your pantry, Frank...take note.

Hi Mike

having thought it over more, I still think it would work rather well

you of course would have made it into the main forum, I am sure
    especially bribing Mods with 'award winning engish brews'
    another good reason to go for it would mean, the spammers are locked out ! double
    and to lower the useage of server space the newbie section could be wiped clear once a month !

win win win

R's chilleman

CM, note the maple leaf on the can.....it may be "imitation English" but a better imitation will not be had. As you say tho, I am not above an appropriate bribe to the mods when necessary.

Give the one issue newbes a couple o months to figure their stuff out, then .....off with their heads, haha

Hi Mike

argh it might still be alright then as rocky mountain bikes are

an give the one issue poster the nowt haha

R's chillerman

taffy-boy Guest

why lock out the new comers that is not nice

Quote Originally Posted by Kompulsa View Post
    Why do the gases leak out? Are there pores that they escape through in the tubing? Or is it something else?

Also, I am for using tried and tested methods, but I should add that I am the type of person that is always for research, development, experimentation, and hence improvement, i'm not referring to PVC tubes in this sentence.

Thank you for your assistance.
    Kompulsa,
    May I suggest you first learn the basics (get a proper torch and some fittings and practice practice practice) then master the basic tools and tecniques before you try to reinvent the wheel, at 22 years of age you are certainly ambitious and I for one applaude that, however many of the questions you have posted seem to indicat that you are more interested in finding some cheap alternative to doing a proper job and most qualified refrigeration technicians take offense to that. Do yourself a favour and take the advice of the many who have attempted to set you straight.
    P.S Grizzly has not overreacted since in your previous posts on this subject you indicated that you had tried glue and epoxy or something like that to join components on the systems you are working on without success. Please, please, please take our advice, your reputation will thank you.

I agree with you Emmett. Part of being a better technician is to use at minimum the standard practices that the other posters here are committed to. If you see the use of flexible pvc hose, etc. being used in most of the refrigeration systems, then you can probably bet that its ok. Here in the USA, I have never seen it used as you are wanting to use it. Must be a reason, right? If for nothing else, safety for yourself and other people should be considered in the event of a catastrophe from the use of sub par materials.

Kompulsa, nice website you have...

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

One thing to add I suppose is that flexible tubing is used but normally in the automotive side of things. Even then joints are made with special fittings crimped, at some pressure, onto the tubing.

Cost and labour probably similar or more than using copper so little or no savings.

We have to remember also that the posters home country is not swamped with refrigeration suppliers, technicians, cheap products and readily available spares.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    One thing to add I suppose is that flexible tubing is used but normally in the automotive side of things. Even then joints are made with special fittings crimped, at some pressure, onto the tubing. Kompulsa wnat's to use PVC not flexible tubing.

Cost and labour probably similar or more than using copper so little or no savings.

We have to remember also that the posters home country is not swamped with refrigeration suppliers, technicians, cheap products and readily available spares.
    If you have been monitoring Kompulsa's post's (and I'm sure you have) it seems evident to me that he is seeking a short cut rather than a replacement for material not readily found in his home country.

Kompulsa, I am not trying to offend you in any way shape or form. It is obvious from your posts that you are intelligent and educated, and I am certain with proper guidance you will be a sucessful refrigeration technician, do not be so easily offended, the responses you are receiving here are very similar to ones you would receive if being trained under a journey man, as we would say in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by chillerman2006 View Post
    Maybe a novice/newbie section that is the only place newcomers can post until approved by the boss/moderators as capable of contributing to the general forum,

Edit: [shoot myself in both feet with both barrels, now] And instead of infractions you get demoted back to newbie posting restrictions
    The way this forum has gone in last 2 weeks, if something like this is not implemented soon

Its just gonna get worse & worse

Quality of forum/posts is going downhill... very fast

Sorry guys just read that thread,its got be a joke! i also read another one of kompulsa,s a while ago which was also mind boggeling.Im from Transport Ref and did see a TK 4 pot compressor discharge Vibrosorber that had a temp repair done on it coz it was loaded coming from France.G.ot to the UK needless to say no Gas in it.The repair was a piece of rubber defrost tube bogged with silicon & lashed round with $ cable ties, bless em for trying!

It's no joke Wilt

Kompulsa is going to split atoms next

and modify wind turbines to run without wind

R's chillerman

He bought my "over unity" machine from me last week

There's one born every minute Mike

He bought my "over unity" machine from me last week
    Cheers
    Stu
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by stufus View Post
    There's one born every minute Mike

Cheers
    Stu
    Yea, made a good profit too

Kudos to you "Sir Mike of Toronto"

Cheers
    Stu

stu- flattery wont get u invited to 1 of mikes party's- he knows how much a alcahol a padddy can drink!!! and his drive doesnt need tarmaccing haha
    Quote Originally Posted by stufus View Post
    Kudos to you "Sir Mike of Toronto"

Cheers
    Stu

Hey I resemble that remark..

Cheers
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    stu- flattery wont get u invited to 1 of mikes party's- he knows how much a alcahol a padddy can drink!!! and his drive doesnt need tarmaccing haha
    My parties are all BYOB anyway. And yes, my drive is already tarmacced....

BYOB - is that bring your overweight bird?? haha
    My parties are all BYOB anyway. And yes, my drive is already tarmacced....

Quote Originally Posted by Emmett View Post
    Kompulsa,
    May I suggest you first learn the basics (get a proper torch and some fittings and practice practice practice) then master the basic tools and tecniques before you try to reinvent the wheel, at 22 years of age you are certainly ambitious and I for one applaude that, however many of the questions you have posted seem to indicat that you are more interested in finding some cheap alternative to doing a proper jobank you.
    Just so we are all clear here....im 24, so only 2 years older...but i'd like to point out there are plenty of good, well educated, and safe young A/C & R techs in the world, i've personally been at this for 7 years which is a while considering my age, would hate people to think young techs aren't very good...

This is a great thread!

I agree that the use of braided pvc hose is a bit idiotic, but dare i admit that back in the day when i was learning it would have been great to see what the refrigerant was doing around the system....

But it does come across like your trying to cut corners, please don't because when it goes wrong you'll be the only one responsible

J
    Last edited by jdunc2301; 28-04-2012 at 10:34 AM.

2years older but 7 years of education and knowledge,also experience.
    [/QUOTE]QUOTE=jdunc2301;257435]Just so we are all clear here....im 24, so only 2 years older...but i'd like to point out there are plenty of good, well educated, and safe young A/C & R techs in the world, i've personally been at this for 7 years which is a while considering my age, would hate people to think young techs aren't very good...

This is a great thread!

I agree that the use of braided pvc hose is a bit idiotic, but dare i admit that back in the day when i was learning it would have been great to see what the refrigerant was doing around the system....

But it does come across like your trying to cut corners, please don't because when it goes wrong you'll be the only one responsible

J[/QUOTE]