No Heat - APAC Sundowner S7, Reversing Valve?

Hi all,

Have just discovered after recently purchasing an apartment with one of these units that the heating does not work.

The air conditioning works fine.

The previous owners told me they basically never used the system at all (one of them was concerned about allergies) so I'm wondering if the reversing valve may be stuck.

I've read that a light tap on the valve may solve the problem but I don't know where the valve is located.

Wondering if anyone with experience could point me in the right direction?

Ben

Re: No Heat - APAC Sundowner S7, Reversing Valve?

Valve will be near the compressor. Check to see if there is power to the valve solenoid when in heating mode. If so, then the coil could be shot.A resistance check will soon tell you that.
    I'd like to know that you are qualified to do electrical testing. If in doubt, call in a fridgie.
    Never Know, you might be in the same area of Aus that i am, though doubt it as no heating in this area is needed yet.
    Last edited by mikeref; 27-04-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Oh.. and welcome to R.E.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

No need to brag Mike - I'm in Melb so unfortunately we're coming into the need heating time of year!

Ok so to clarify that is very likely on the roof of our building? (i.e. outside - there is no outside unit on the balcony).

Our building manager is telling me that the reversing valve is in the unit in our ceiling but I can only see the fan coil unit, and I'm far from convinced he knows what he's talking about.

I won't attempt any testing myself I'm just trying to sus out the lay of the land before I call a techie. But I figure tapping on a valve is worth a try!

Ben

G'day Ben. had to be careful as to what advise i could give, going on the small amount of info on your first post. (safety first).
    So now you have to find where the outdoor half of your a/c is. The valve looks like link below, and it will be in with the compressor. There will be a panel to remove with phillips head driver.
    http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...yDVZqdK9BRIOnQ
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Hi Mike,

No worries thanks so much for that - I've spoken with the building manager and it is on the roof so we'll go and investigate next week.

If the tapping fails I'll call in the pros.

Thanks so much for your help it's much appreciated!

Ben