We have moved to a house with a wet under floor system running off an electric boiler (there’s no gas in the area). After a scary electric bill I got two quotes for an ASHP but I’m finding comparing the two proposed systems quite difficult.

The first one is for a 14kw Ecodan to cover our heating and hot water requirements. We can have it with a Telford 200ltr twin coil un-vented cylinder or a Mitsubishi 200ltr unvented cylinder (single coil) which is a neatly package single unit.

The second proposal is for a 16kw Daitkin Altherma (variable speed compressor) split unit for the heating plus an Ecocent unvented cylinder with built in 800w heat pump for the hot water.

The idea of using separate systems for the heating and water we are told is more efficient and given the low pressure on our main will help boost pressure at the taps.

I’m having real problems deciding which is the right system – I like the simplicity of the Ecodan system but would the second proposal using two separate systems give us better pressure and be more economical?

I’m not a refrigeration engineer so don’t have the technical knowledge but I’m hoping this forum can help me. Any advice greatly appreciated!