Gravity coil location???

Am quoting on a cold room with a gravity coil (no fans). The room is about 4m x 6m x 3.5m high.

The spec has come back from the wholesalers with a wall mounted coil about 2.2m long 0.4m deep and 1m high.

What i'm wondering is would a ceiling mounted coil be a better solution given the size of room from an air flow point of view as it would be more central?

Anyone have any experience/advice with gravity coils?

Cheers Jon

Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Re: Gravity coil location???

centrally would be best- only problem is running the drain- maybe a universal perisaltic pump -mounted on the roof of the coldroom

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

We've got gravity coils fitted in the fish market at Brixham.

All the coils are horizontal, coil sizes sound about the same, very effective. Fluid a brine at -7°C.

They did have peristaltic pumps fitted originally but they had been removed and straight gravity drains drains fiited. I don't know whether it was the atmosphere that did the pumps in or something else, it all happened before we took on the site.

Surely though you are having more than one coil?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

The room next to this one with a dual dischrge cooler has a gravity drain so think it will be ok.

Only one coil, load is about 2.2kw so not much but coil is very expencive so expect two would be over budget!

Was thinking if its wall mounted then they will not be able to put shelving directly below as air off will be too cold. Depends what their shelving plan is going to be like i guess.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Wall mount: could you fit a deflector plate under it to direct the cold air dropping off the coil away from it's natural vertical path?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Generally ceiling mounted static coil grids are a pain in the Butt, they will normally be ice building coils and get really heavy. Then the defrost cycle and water collection is the next problem.
    Suggest keeping coils on the side walls at high level, and louvers as Brian_ uk suggested so as to get a natural convection flow going on.

Thanks for the replies

Its got a drain pan/deflector plate built in, and a baffle on the side too. I think its just because i'm not used to working with this style of coil that i'm questioning where is best to site it.

Good point about the weight, its 95Kg dry so could easily go 500kg if it froze up solid!

Did some big coils in a freezer years ago that we worked out would weigh 2 tons if they froze up, made a unistrut frame above the roof to hang them from, expect we will do something similar here!