Van speed limiter

So, the company I work for have started fitting 68mph speed limiters to the vans, I have not had mine fitted yet, it seems a stupid idea, as the uk speed limit is supposed to going up to 80mph soon, for some reason it doesnt seem safe either, anyone else had there van limited yet?

Re: Van speed limiter

I had a kangoo van that was limited by physics to about 70...
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

lol, the vans we have are transits and peugeot experts and partners but it just doesnt seem right limiting them, they say it is for safety, but if thats the case, why isnt every car, van etc limited?

my van is not limited but i own it and care for it,so it keeps to the speed limits 24/7 and guess what diesel is £8 a gallon so whats the hurry !!!!

In no hurry, I've got a clean licence, but when I'm on my way home from a call out at 11 o clock at night on a friday night after being since 5 in the morning, with no other cars on the road, I dont want to be stuck at 68mph!!!!!!!!!!!............also there is the safety side of it, most vehicles are not limited so that you can put your foot down in order to get of trouble........e.g when an idiot audi driver speeds up when you are overtaking him, as a bus appears coming the other way!!!!!

read your last statement,you are an accident waiting to happen .

if they want to fit a limiter-then only do58mph or at a pinch 68 is ok for A roads B roads and dirt tracks

yes I know, long hours, long driving, its part of being an engineer mate, what with engineers being made redundant, I do as I am told, got a mortgage to pay and young mouths to feed, not everyone has a 9-5

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

If you drive a larger van your speed is restricted already on A roads.

I may well be wrong but I thought that there was some form of emergency over-ride on a limiter???
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I very rarely break the speed limits, as my 15 year, clean licence proves, but being STUCK at 68mph, it just doesnt seem right, I have driven a limited van and its not a nice feeling when it just stops at 68mph, its like your not in control, sorry if I sound like some kind of speed freak, believe me, I'm not, I just wondered what peoples views were on this subject?

Had someone speed up when i was overtaking them last week, they were doing around 40 when i started (and had been doing so for about 3 miles), got along side them and no further, had to brake and pull back in.
    Vans got auto box and had changed up to fourth which happens above 70, so ****er had nearly double speed, but then went back to doing about 50....

Believe speed limits for vans is,

50 single carriage way
    60 dual carriage way
    70 motor way
    So you're not losing much, especially if its a true 68 and not 68 on the speedo which mostly read high.
    Last edited by monkey spanners; 21-04-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

national speed limit for a van on a dual carriageway is 60 not 70 this also includes small vans too ie kangoos berlingos anything with no back seats-your work contract wont mention limiters in it-just the ususal no fitting of cd players without permission,no rallying and driver is responsible for parking/speeding fines.
    do you have a tracker on the van? if not then disable it if you have a thirst for tanking it at night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    If you drive a larger van your speed is restricted already on A roads.

I may well be wrong but I thought that there was some form of emergency over-ride on a limiter???
    Last edited by frank; 22-04-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Yeah, get that alot these days, idiots speeding up as your trying to overtake, dont understand it, most of the time, its an audi bmw or merc lol........... dont wanna be overtook by 'lower class' bloke in a van lol...... w*nkers

yes got a tracker, have had one for the past ten years, never had any problems, got nothing to hide

I've been driving a 70mph (68 gps) limited Transit for nearly 2 years now.
    The limiter is in the ECU software so could be raised if the the National limit was lifted, but I doubt they will lift the goods vehicle speed limit.

Accelerating out of trouble will get no support from any Judge, Court, Police Officer or Road Safety Organisation.

do they change ur vans every 3 yr-how long till they take it out again? - our firm flogged a van and forgot to take the tracker out!-if our gaff got us limiters -then id do 55 everywhere and take the scenic route- productivity levels would drop-are the bosses getting limiters to ?? thought not-happy kerb crawling

always had estate cars, last one did at least 55 mpg (with ladders on the roof) then they gave us vans for 'health and safety' reasons.................. the vans struggle to do 32mpg because of the weight..........another bright idea!!!!!

so you think its safe to have big vans dawdling along at 68mph with cars doing a legal 80mph??????/

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    - our firm flogged a van and forgot to take the tracker out!-
    My last company left one in as well.
    They knew where the van was but just couldn't get the new owner to agree to let them have it to remove the tracker, he wanted cash for his trouble,,, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by dt8project View Post
    so you think its safe to have big vans dawdling along at 68mph with cars doing a legal 80mph??????/
    No different to trucks being stuck at 56

Most cars don't weigh 3tons

every 5 years now mate

whilst on the subject of vans ....... whats the best van for an a/c service engineer?

no, my bosses car isnt limited, I did ask him that as he took delivery of it....... a brand new bmw 530d with massive alloy wheels and tinted windows........ no limter though!!!!!

http://youtu.be/eu9enyfgcZg
    Quote Originally Posted by dt8project View Post
    whilst on the subject of vans ....... whats the best van for an a/c service engineer?

fantastic........ I take that isnt the standard 2.5 diesel engine in that transit?....

jag xj220!

nice..... been on top gear that???????..... reminds me of one I saw at oulton park that had a highly modded cozzie yb lump in it

sorry if i upset anybody with my comments ,i used to be a guy that did drive different than what i do today and go over the limits but i had a guy [drunk] pull in front off me and i t boned him we all got away with no injuries thank christ that and loving living made me drive as i do today,some of my friends have been caught speeding and attended awareness causes which i believe show the pitfalls of speeding but i agree that other nobs on the road can annoy,there is something other drivers dont like about vans and they want to be in front of them,and every other scenario we all have probably encountered.the tortoise and the hare comes to mind i heard a good quote the other day 40 is the 30 the reply not to speed cameras!

Since the unfortunate incident last year when the speeding Police car nearly wrote off my van, along with all of the arguing over blame, I've fitted one of these.....www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4rwMV7hhaY

Great feeling now driving along knowing all of the antics pulled by the nobs out there are being recorded.

if our boss saw them cameras- he'd have em on the passenger seat to see how long the apprentice sleeps !!!!

I think speed limiters are more in the intrests of mpg than health and safety. Most are done through the ecu and can be set/reset at the dealers on the computer for the cost of an hours labour. I have heard you can disconnect the speed sensor off the gearbox but then the speedo is not working so you would need to know what speeds are what revs in what gears and im not sure if this would affect abs operation as esentially the van thinks its not on the move. Also if you have a tracker im pretty sure your boss would want to know how your van can do 90mph.

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Since the unfortunate incident last year when the speeding Police car nearly wrote off my van, along with all of the arguing over blame, I've fitted one of these.....www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4rwMV7hhaY

Great feeling now driving along knowing all of the antics pulled by the nobs out there are being recorded.
    Quite a detailed explanation of the camera there Frank.
    I have to admit I am impressed, sadly I doubt I could claim the costs back from the company.
    However I am going to ask the question.
    Thanks for the link.
    Grizzly

most speed limiters can be adjusted to suit driver but is it worth the hassle ? if you start disconecting speed sensors you will bring on engine management light and go to limp home mode all our rental vans is limited to 68 anyway but ourbreakdown vans aint limited at all but we can switch um on if required via our snap on scanners the main reason it to be done has to be mpg on vechicles its sometimes cheaper to pay the engineer a bit on travel than the fuel it takes to get him there its like the f gas when it became law it was addressed if you can only go 68 then thats it except on the big hills when its freewheel time i cant preach about speeding i have a very heavy right foot anyway

The company claim that limiters are to increase safety, improve mpg and lower insurance costs
    , but they also stopped supplying vans with a/c in to improve mpg in the summer, but the vans use even more fuel now, as we're all driving round with both the windows down all day which I am told seriously upsets the vehicles aerodynamics, especially as we spend most of the time on the motorway...... with regards to removing the limiter, I'm led to believe it can viewed as gross misconduct and also could invalidate the insurance

stick ladders on the roof,let some air out ur tyres,load ur van up with gas bottles and fill up at motorway services! haha

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Our new vans can't do 70 anyway....

running-van-funny-animated_20091014_1325465204.gif
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post

I'm afraid that device would do damage to my humble reputation.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZFyM...eature=related
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

VW Caddy great service vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer.Guy View Post
    I've been driving a 70mph (68 gps) limited Transit for nearly 2 years now.
    The limiter is in the ECU software so could be raised if the the National limit was lifted, but I doubt they will lift the goods vehicle speed limit.

Accelerating out of trouble will get no support from any Judge, Court, Police Officer or Road Safety Organisation.
    But may get the support of wife and children when you return home safely

If you are 5ft 6 ,and not in a hurry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
    VW Caddy great service vehicle
    Cheers
    Stu
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

Get them where it hurts, drive everywhere in second gear on the rev limiter, that'll stuff their mpg
    ...and she said "give it to me you big fridgie"

disagree stu the one i have is 1.9TDI and is quickest van i ever had. im 6ft and have no issues

never get a peugeot van.....electrical faults, poor mpg and very noisey!!!!!!