Hi Guys,

I am after some engineering information regarding a chilled water project,

Basically we have a food processing company that wants to use chilled water for process,

the water being supplied to process is not returning back into the chilled water tank, it is going to waste, the flow required to 80L/min or 1.4 L/sec,

the mains makeup water is at 24 Deg C and was going to use a single chilled water tank, I have attached a schematic of piping arrangment,

I am after some calculation/formula to work out what the heatload will be on the chiller,

Eg: If I have a tank that is 3000L capacity, and the incomming water temperature is at 24 Deg C (mains water makeup) and I want to start the chiller 3hrs before start up then the load is 23 kW however when productions starts how do I work out the tank temperature or load when 24 Deg C water is mixing with say 7 Deg C water?

If i work it out on water entering at 24 Deg C into the chiller and comming out at 7 Deg C (ideal supply temperature) then my kW is 112 kW based on a flow of 1.4 L/sec.

We want to get stratification inside the tank,

Also is there a general formula to calculate chilled water tank temperature?

I want to make sure it is not oversized for the job.

Any help much appreciated

PS : I tried to upload drawing but cannot exceed 100kb and file is 350 kb, let me know and I can email