Fisher Paykel E442B problem - evaporator sits at room temperature

I have a Fisher and Paykel E442B with a fault. It was working fine until recently when it was switched off to move to a new rental. It was laid on its back in a trailer for the move. Then stored upright in the carport for 2 weeks without being switched on. Then it was cleaned out (with a hose; it stank) and left for anther week with the doors open to air out.

The fault is the evaporator won't get cold. It's barely below room temperature. The compressor runs (continuously). The condenser is behind a metal sheet so I can't directly feel it, but the sheet feels like room temperature, so I'm guessing the condenser is room temperature also.

The capillary tube just past the drier/filter is cold but not freezing. The capillary tube where it enters the freezer compartment is the same cold temperature, but when it reaches the evaporator the cold stops. To be clear; the copper tubing within the freezer compartment is cold but the aluminium (?) evaporator tubing is room temperature. There is no frost or ice.

I can hear gasses gurgling if I turn the fridge off after letting the compressor run for a few minutes. The compressor gets hot. The electronics all seem to do the right thing (fans whir, lights turn on, door sensors beep). I disconnected the auto-defrost heater in case it was stuck on, but that's not changed anything.

My best guesses are (1) blocked capillary (2) lost some (not all) refrigerant gas, or (3) the compressor is running poorly. Is there anything further I can do to self diagnose the problem? I want to make an informed decision as to whether the fridge is worth repairing.

Re: Fisher Paykel E442B problem - evaporator sits at room temperature

The 442's mainly had Printed circuit board faults or defrost element burnout. They have been around some years now, and the refrigeration circuit has worn thin. By simply transporting it, you could have easily caused pipe damage. My guess is the discharge line running through the condensate overflow pan, to the right hand side of the compressor, has sprung a leak. This section is the weakest point of the 442's gas circuit, and you will need a tech to come out and check that. By leaving the fridge on, you will cause significant damage. Mike.
    Last edited by mikeref; 01-04-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: OH, excuse my bad manners..Welcome to R.E.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Re: Fisher Paykel E442B problem - evaporator sits at room temperature

Thanks Mike. I'll call out the local tech to repair the leak.