Thread: Aerogel

Aerogel

Hi mates . . . anyone tried this or anyone heard of it or seen it sold or commercialized for the refrigeration industry ?? what you think about it , an all new brand revolution or i'm outdated ????

http://stardust.jpl.nasa.gov/tech/aerogel.html

Engineering, sciences, math, physics and my brain will generate "not responding " soon

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Aerogel

What uses were you thinking about for Aerogel ?

It seems very good at what it does but could we afford such a glamorous product such as something made for NASA ?

If we use it for pipe insulation then what are the birds going to peck at when it is mostly air ?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Hi Brian , I have read another article about aerogel , that says that nasa is trying to make it transparent at 100% degree and in the futur they will integrate the transparent product instead of the normal glass we use for windows , so the leak of heat from windows will be dramatically decreased ==> more energy efficient homes ==> less pollution . . . and for the none transparent aerogel which i think should be a lot more cheaper , what about using it in cold store as unsulating materials ....

It seems very good at what it does but could we afford such a glamorous product such as something made for NASA ?
    Most of the researches and products conducted for nasa ends in the market after a fair time . . . so i though that maybe such products are already in the market in europe and north america , maybe US Iceman can tell us about north america . . . .

If we use it for pipe insulation then what are the birds going to peck at when it is mostly air ?
    Maybe this way lololol the birds flue will stop developping

regards
    Engineering, sciences, math, physics and my brain will generate "not responding " soon

maybe US Iceman can tell us about north america . . . .
    Let me do some research on this. I know NASA likes to spin off technology for commercialization.

The use of this as a building material sounds very interesting. I recently heard of an architect trying to develop transparent concrete. He had some examples, so it looks promising.

Let me do some research on this. I know NASA likes to spin off technology for commercialization.
    If you found something .... LOLOL I know that you will let us know about it so no need to remind

The use of this as a building material sounds very interesting. I recently heard of an architect trying to develop transparent concrete. He had some examples, so it looks promising.
    New technologies are very promising ... let's hope it will be soon in the markets with affordable prices

Regards

Hi,

There is also a commercial site for it:

http://www.aerogel.com/

cheers,
    Pete.

I recently heard of an architect trying to develop transparent concrete.
    How would you see it?

Hi,

There is also a commercial site for it:

http://www.aerogel.com/

cheers,
    Pete.
    thanks Pete , seems that this product is in the way to HVAC/R industry

Regards

Quote:

I recently heard of an architect trying to develop transparent concrete.

How would you see it?
    You don`t...

Its being designed with suicidals in mind. So when they are at the top of building looking down, they dont get frightened at the thought of jumping.

Or if you accidently fall of a ladder .....

Chillin
    Last edited by chillin out; 20-11-2005 at 08:21 PM.
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa