car ac and transport refrigeration f gas regs

i know this has been covered but if you do either of these do you need 2079 or what is the minimum,i know if you have 2079 full certificate you can .

Re: car ac and transport refrigeration f gas regs

C&G 7543 is the current minimum for mobile stuff

^unit 1 (there are three units)

C&G5101 is for car aircon which is mandatory July 2011 but there is no qualification for transport yet, its still exempt. If you have 2079 you cannot work on car aircon you need 5101 but you can work on transport, trucks, buses & coaches without anything! apart from 2078 which isnt related to any industry this is for ODS regulations.

City & Guilds 5101 has been upgraded to 7543 though there is very little difference in the descriptor (nor is there a requirement to sit 7543 if you have successfully completed 5101).

You are correct, there is a gap created by the wording of the directive i.e. stationary and mobile however loosely described 7543 unit 1 covers the legal requirements for Automotive air conditioning including trucks and buses. 2079 covers large transport refrigeration, though there hasn't been a test case that I know of (certainly in this jurisdiction - anybody comment on UK & continent?). The directive is being looked at and a future revised draft may address this. I have quoted a memo from the EU in a separate thread.

Where there is a huge loophole is with company certification as currently transport refrigeration may not need to register their company (again no test cases to refer to yet). What is the standing in UK and rest of EU with this? (anybody here from Refcom etc?)

If you have 2079 you cannot work on car air con you need 5101
    CTMarco.
    You are talking rubbish.
    You read the regs again and when you find the section that says what you have said, please post it!
    Thats like saying a HGV driver cannot drive a car and in my opinion smack of attempted exclusivity.

My local scrap Yard dealer has 5101 and does not even have a set of gauges.
    I think you will find that within the regs, which we have debated before at length.

The term used is "suitably qualified."

This whole industry is full of people stating facts that benefit the trainers.(Of which there are many on the forum who are both knowledgeable and helpful.)
    However not all trainers are as good, and sometimes some can interpret the rules incorrectly
    I asked a Vehicle A/C training College recently for a suitable reclaim cylinder so that I could supply them with some reclaimed R134a.
    They sent me one of the Disposable Type.
    I think that says it all does it not?
    Grizzly
    Last edited by Grizzly; 30-03-2012 at 09:10 PM.

I know exactly what you mean grizzly, good post