Thread: Project First.

Project First.

Hi All,

Just heard tonight that project first engineering, have went into liquidation. Another company within this industry to go down.

Supermarketguy

shimceltic Guest

Re: Project First.

Just had a call from a mate who got told today his 50k+ wont be getting paid. Terrible

I used to work there but left a few years back. Very sad news when I heard it. Got a text from a friend and it just said "unemployed".
    The industry is disappearing people, who will be next?

Another one bites the dust, when will we as an industry start to wake up. There is no money left for 10% reductions in what we charge every few years. Maybe it will be better when there is only one or two large companys left, so hopefully someone will charge the right sort of money for the sort of service the customer demands!!
    I am mid-way through my carrier now, been on the tools for about 15 years now. I look around me and wonder who is behind me coming up through the ranks, and there is know one there. Not many companys taking on apprenticess any more, i assume because of cost.
    Sorry about that, rant over. Hope the guys that are effected find work soon.

Sad indeed hopefully new doors open for all involved
    Many great people there too

We all know the supermarkets have been screwing the contractors margins down for years, and as long as some companies keep "buying" the work just to get a foot in thr door with them it will only stop when as Supercool says there are only one or two major players in the game. Maybe this will be a good thing as they will only have a couple of companies to negotiate contracts with and we may get back to an even playing field. Its not just the profit margins that suffer its the lack of investment in the future workforce. In my neck of the woods to my knowledge there are no apprentices coming through in the supermarket sector and this has been the case for a number of years. Its about time the supermarket sector realised that they need us as much as we need them and if companies such as Project First keep going down the tubes we are all on a looser.

I hope everyone who ends up out of work or out of pocket gets themselves sorted out okay. Bad times, damn this recession.

i believe its not just a supermarket issue it seems to be a general way of life for some and some trades, in the last twelve months i have not even quoted for 6 jobs after seing other quotes as there is just no profit in it, i dont make a fortune but we all need to make a profit or why bother? i plan to be working in the fridge game for some time and without a profit and a decent margin why bother, the work needs to be done correctley and well for a sensible margin with a aim of all of us tradeing in 5 years time,the problem seems to be with a contract or a large install the end user can dictate the rate, we would all like the big work and no we are getting paid but surely its better to have less and make a living than a lot of work for minimum gain or no gain and then we have the companies that go bust and start tradeing the next day without any moral loss or worries just a clean sheet, not all companies fold due to bad contracts but bad payers dont help and there seems to be very little adress to it good luck to the staff thats looking for employement

Sad to see them go but they must have been taking jobs on at silly prices and rushed programs. I know of a few P1st site which were not great, although I also know of a few which have ran well.

I would imagine most of the engineers will be ok, hopefully the office staff, admin people etc will get sorted.