Thread: news story

news story

Re: news story

hi RST yes a very sad story, and as you know in the EEC we have standards and rules < not perfect< but it is a start I do not live in the UK but worked there < in the industry< but now live in spain , where
    there is no controle visable , but if I see any siuation < blowing gas off < or the like ,I take a picture of the offending people, they cannot conplain then,
    rules and regs are nessesarry but to police them is always going to be a problem, I think its up to us all to keep our industry clean, there is no- one better equiped with the knollage of the industry to do better , so tell me ,WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

RSTC,
    the Labour Department here always act in similar fashion as consultants after the event.
    best description of consultants I read recently. "Consultants are the ones that come out of the hills after the battle is over and shoot all the wounded ".

Yes Magoo
    The NZ Labour Dept has an attitude of reactive instead of proactive - those lazy .... should be sacked from the top down and clean out the dead wood. We pay taxes for this department which employs people who would be mostly unemployed if not employed by NZ Labour Dept.

Hi Sedgy,
    The Irish take ignoring rules as a national pass time.

My view (and that is my view only) is that regulation around gas handling can only be a good thing. With the exception of certification process to prove entry level knowledge (which is much less onerous than for other industries) there is no downside for the industry.

Responsibility for ensuring the paperwork is complete is with the client which is a service a contractor can provide (bit like a car test pre check)

With respect of Spanish standards this is an EU directive, so Spain must comply (even if it isn't yet) or face big fines later.

In respect of policing I feel it may be some time before a culture of compliance is adopted, then policing will be seen as necessity of survival rather than a hindrance. For the time being however (in this jurisdiction) the EPA is the policing body and are happy to follow up on any information www.ozone.ie or
    (053) 91 60600

As for the news story in the opening post, it doesn't say what caused the explosion but I'm assuming it was a HC refrigerant, which along with ammonia and CO2 we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of proper training and certification. (I see AREA just completed a European wide survey tho)

As long as humans do the work, accidents will accrue.

Quote Originally Posted by RSTC View Post

As for the news story in the opening post, it doesn't say what caused the explosion but I'm assuming it was a HC refrigerant, which along with ammonia and CO2 we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of proper training and certification. (I see AREA just completed a European wide survey tho)

Hi RSTC

I think this thread refers to 'that explosion' & Magoo explains half way down the page what happened

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...ight=explosion

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Thanks @chillerman2006. A better (though possibly biased) report in that thread by @al http://www.hydrocarbons21.com/content/articles/118520110913.php?goback=%2Egna_1916927%2Egde_1916927_member_70445650

Actually that's a very interesting site, though they don't really say who they are. Anybody know?