Hold Over Freezer / Ice Cream Van Help!

Hi Guys I have just finished building my first ice cream van , i bought an old freezer box (apox 3.5 squar ft ) off someone i know , basically its a pipe work system covered by plates. Ok so iv been looking and calling around for someone to fit a compressor system to it, but cant find anybody that is really interested or wants the job . What compressor do i need ? Why is this ? Also been mechanically minded i was wondering how hard it would be to make my next freezer box my self out of copper pipe and ss plate ? iv read a post on here about it but it didnt go into detail . i think peter_1 is who i need to speak to ? Or anyone else who knows much about this sort of thing . Sorry if these are daft questions but i need to know the answers asap , Thanks in advance phil

Re: Hold Over Freezer / Ice Cream Van Help!

First: Welcome to RE forums!

You will probably hate me after reading the following:

…, but cant find anybody that is really interested or wants the job .
    I’m afraid you will not find many keen to help here either. You should realize this is not because they are bad guys but because of the humongous amount of work you are asking for.

Refrigeration looks like an easy job for the outsider but it is really a very difficult profession that requires knowledge in the fields of mechanics, electricity, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, chemistry, but above all it is very dangerous for someone not trained in safety specifics.

As you must have some of the required training, it would be easier for you to invest in some books. First check the “Refrigeration Books” forum.

Some Transport Refrigeration Companies like Carrier Transicold or Thermoking have some training on their sites.

What compressor do i need ?
    You have to define first what you want, search these forums on “thermal load” but also look for the type of compressor you want is it to be hooked to your motor or to external power, etc.

Why is this ?
    This is answered not in one book but several!

Also been mechanically minded i was wondering how hard it would be to make my next freezer box my self out of copper pipe and ss plate ?
    Here you either need someone that has solved this exact problem or if you have the money you can solve by trial and error.

There are several “do it yourself” books and posts in youtube that can help.

You may call me names but the difficult part is not in the mechanics you can see by watching a system, and if something goes wrong you not only need the knowledge but the experience to solve.

iv read a post on here about it but it didnt go into detail . i think peter_1 is who i need to speak to ?
    Nobody goes into detail here because they are too complicated! We can help in specific questions but not go into the detail you want… or need!

Or anyone else who knows much about this sort of thing . Sorry if these are daft questions but i need to know the answers asap
    I sincerely hope someone can give you more advice.

Start by reading safety issues and the “Refrigeration – The Stories” forum.

Good luck!