Help with 1938 refrigerator

I have a 1938 frigidaire refrigerator that I am restoring. The problem is it has a leakand it takes R-114
    refrigerant and it is $925.00 for a 30 lb bottle ,and I only need 20 ounces. It has a 1/11hp compressor . there is no fan on the evaporater or condensor. I would like to change out the compressor and use a cheaper refrigerant. But I don't know where to start on this. So I found this web site and it said refrigeration engineer, so where better to ask.

I could sure use some help. I have pics if needed
    Thanks Todd Gallamore

Re: Help with 1938 refrigerator

Hi Todd & welcome to our forum.
    It would sure be a shame to change the gas on this vintage machine. I'm sure someone could help point you in the right direction to find the R114 at a much more reasonable rate. Yes we would like some before and after photos - they could bring back memories for some of us oldies who may have worked on something that old. Sure we could change the refrigerant an metering device to suit but we think original is best. Have you checked to see if the compressor is OK?
    When it's all up and running you could even make a buck or two out of hireing it out as a movie prop.

Post some photographs, I would like to see them I worked for Frigidaire both in the UK and the States.
    1938 this could have been open (belt driven) compressor or a very early Meter Miser.
    Lets have some more info.
    Location, United Kingdom

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

There are some alternatives to R114, perhaps do some research on them...

http://www.refrigerant-supply.com/references/r-114.htm
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I believe it is a meter miser compressor. I will weld some taps on this weekend and make sure the compressor valves are good. I have looked before on a replacement refrigerant and the one's i have seen ,said that you might have to make some engineering changes. I will put some pics on this weekend.

Thanks for the Info I really appreciate it.

If it is a Meter Miser compressor there are no valves in the accepted sense, there are only three moving parts in the compressor, there is the eccentric rotor with a divider that runs against this to provide a high and low pressure area within the cylinder.
    Also you should see a stub on the body of the compressor with a hexagon nut in the end this was where they were originally charged, pity you are so far away i think I still have the access tool some where.
    Location, United Kingdom

DCFC0228_001.jpg

love these old machines, they don't make good stuff anymore.

Found this,

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/DMC/slike...rigidaire9.pdf

No help to op but is an interesting read none the less
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

IMG_5566.JPGIMG_5567.JPGIMG_5568.JPGIMG_5569.JPGIMG_5574.JPGyou are correct on it being a meter miser and it does have the stub on the compressor. I am trying to add some pics of it when I first got it . I now have it sand blasted clean and some rust cut out and almost completly repaired and ready to be primed. Thanks for the picture and the info on it. I saved it and i'm going to print it out. Can I get away with just putting a tap on the suction line or do i need a tap on both?

IMG_5566.JPGIMG_5585.JPG Here is 2 more pics

IMG_5575.JPG Sorry here is a pic of the whole frig

Quote Originally Posted by tagalla View Post
    IMG_5566.JPGIMG_5567.JPGIMG_5568.JPGIMG_5569.JPGIMG_5574.JPGyou are correct on it being a meter miser and it does have the stub on the compressor. I am trying to add some pics of it when I first got it . I now have it sand blasted clean and some rust cut out and almost completely repaired and ready to be primed. Thanks for the picture and the info on it. I saved it and I'm going to print it out. Can I get away with just putting a tap on the suction line or do i need a tap on both?
    You should be able to evacuate and charge it just from the suction line tap.
    My other thought is that this was in all probability originally charged with R12 (***** 12 in US speak) so a drop in for R12 would be the best option for the refrigerant.
    Location, United Kingdom

Ok found leak on compressor terminals. Is there any way to fix this

Well a long time ago Watsco made terminal seals for all sorts of hermetic compressor, they still may do worth a try.
    Best of luck let us know how you get on with this project.
    Location, United Kingdom

Thanks I'll check it out

Nearest pressure/temperature fit for R114 so far is a n-butane, so i think R12/R134a as replace refrigerant is not good choice in this case if you not want overload motor in original compressor. Situation very close to using R600a compressor to R134a refrigerant, but worse. I think this going to be a hard nut to crack to find similar and allowed refrigerant to replace R114.

R114 itself is banned at montreal-protocol and manufacturing of this stopped years ago, so this explain why is so expensive - and in many country (include my country) also crime to handle it except to recovery and send to destruction in proper way.
    Last edited by xxargs; 01-05-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Nice Fridge...Im working on a 1949 GE myself.

mr, TAG,

Really u wanted to repair it?, not worth, get it cleaned and painted with original colour then put it
    in museum for next generation,

regds,

Call a Service company that works on Chillers, ask if they have a couple of #'s of R-114. Oh and offer them a cold Beer when you get it running

Any news, glad someone is interested in saving older things in this throw away world. Let us know how you get on.

Hey I have almost the same exact model, just started on the repairs, any luck on yours?

I have the same model that I want to restore as well.... Not sure how or where to start. Anyone on the east coast?

I also have a 1938 Frigidaire and it just conked out on me. It is in mint condition so i would like to try to repair it. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i've never done anything like this before. Not sure where to start and haven't been able to find anyone local that knows how to repair it.
    Not sure of the model number, but have attached a few pictures. IMG_1972.jpgIMG_1975.jpgKit tc.jpg