old plant revisited

scan0023.jpgbikepics-719967-full.jpgbikepics-719967-full.jpghttp://file:///C:/Users/romaurie/Downloads/719967.htmlEilat on the Red Sea has just lost its largest refrigration air conditioning provider, S.E.M. .שאמ The company wa the 1st to provide a full frigeration and desert cooler service in the growing city after its independence in 1949.By 1994, it was the leading company in Eilat on occaiasion sending its engineers to conventions over-seas.2012 saw the company bankrupted which has created a service vacuum throughout all the hotel/food providers and air conditioning markets.I found myself on plant installed some 20 years ago when I was relatively new in the city from Christchurch, Hampshire.apart from minor changes its pretty much the same.The company I was working with use "EKOSTAR" Bitzer plant alot, so we changed the R.22 Copeland 401 comp. to similar sized Bitzer.
    Now I have noticed old plant that was full of corrossion and rust and pooled in oil 15 years ago unchanged.Some very close to food preparartion areas.
    Bars with leaking beer and soft drink dispensers that attract small white and black flies.The white one give very painfull bites.
    Now addmittadlley I have been in the refrigeration industry since 1973 and seen my share of "Abbatoirs" and practices that would make u look away in disgust.But to now re-encounter plant like this that is being "renuvated", digital T.E.Vs and M.P.s with new pipework on single Manneurop condensing units while the fridges are litterally falling appart in beach front areas on the popular southern Eilat beaches is either a disgrace, or a cheap investment to cash in on 1 or 2 seasons trade before replacing.
    But for a " mature" engineer that has worked on all plant, this veteran-refrigeration equipement re-visited is not so pleasant.
    I rather wondered what re-locating to Christchurch Dorset would be like after 27 years working abroad.I see from Google Earth that the Regent Cinema is still there.I recall seeing "Easy Rider" there in 1969 and inspired by the film used the facilities s of the S,R,D,E, apprenticeship schemr to build this.
    Last edited by romaurie; 05-02-2012 at 12:40 AM.