Turbo torch gas cylinders.

Following the resent sad events, regarding the loss of 2 engineers in Australia.
    Which as reported by our colleagues over there, resulted in a mass recall of Mapp gas cylinders.

Just to let all know I have just received a safety bulletin to the same effect.

So it would seem that the response is going global?
    Grizzly

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Turbo torch gas cylinders.

Thanks for that Grizzly.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

i have suspected the mapp gas cylinders for some time,in that after taking off the head attachment it seems to leak so do we discard /return the old ones produced before the date?

Got a letter from FSW/RPW saying to take the old ones back and to swap them for new ones with a black diamond shape on the top to show they are ok.

Seems any made before 12 January 12 could be dodgey if i read it correctly.

Its also the propane ones too, or cylinders made by worthington i think.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

You are right monkey spanners, the recall in Aust was for all Worthington made cylinders, this included Rothenberger and Super Ego branded cylinders.
    Regards
    Paul

Got the same recall warning advise here in NZ for Worthington made cylinders. Perhaps a sealable cap on cylinder instead of the plastic dust cap may long term be a resolve for those that remove the torch head.

My neighbour has a Worthingtons MAPP gas cylinder (the real stuff) which must be at least 5 years old. It has the same issue, so it's not a new problem.

Cadwaladers answer is relevant.
    Basically I and most of my colleagues don't remove a cylinder from the torch. Until it is empty!

Coz as everyone is now agreeing, they leak. On the torch they don't.

Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    . On the torch they don't.

Grizzly
    Where did you get this idea? they leak everywhere, check them with soap and see for yourself. I buy a new torch every two years, it saves on the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by chemi-cool View Post
    Where did you get this idea? they leak everywhere, check them with soap and see for yourself. I buy a new torch every two years, it saves on the gas.
    thanks for the advice I will check it out Chemi.
    Grizzly

valleyboy Guest

I have got a leaky torch if I forget to take it off the cylinder the van stinks when I next get in it

Quote Originally Posted by valleyboy View Post
    I have got a leaky torch if I forget to take it off the cylinder the van stinks when I next get in it

Prepare to die if thats the case valleyboy.

We had sealed caps made, as there is nothing we could find commercially available.
    Acetylene bottles same deal, cap them as well.

I'm dreading the introduction of hydrocarons in Australia, as it only takes one non thinking person to cause
    accident.

hydrocarons ....
    A particular dreaded Female eh!
    Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    hydrocarons ....
    A particular dreaded Female eh!
    Grizzly
    Hydrocarbons as well!

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
    I'm dreading the introduction of hydrocarons in Australia, as it only takes one non thinking person to cause
    accident.
    They are here (for the princely sum of $50/kg - They should wear an eye patch and inflatable parrot!).

Honestly they can't be much worse than the average idiot and a BBQ cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
    Prepare to die if thats the case valleyboy.

We had sealed caps made, as there is nothing we could find commercially available.
    Acetylene bottles same deal, cap them as well.

accident.
    Still no regulation or rules/ training courses for R290, R600 and R600a that are out there in Aus already. None that i have seen anyway. And no Mapp cylinders in stock either.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Hi Mike Ref.
    I have gone away from using MAP things as a too dangerous option , and have gone back to the acetylene turbo torch . In the old days they called them prestolights. They can stick there cheap stuff.
    As for the propane range, me not at all interested in killing people. Have enough problems wih the BBQ and hair removal, if I had some. Can you imagine a winding failure/ flash in a propane fridge. Whamo, explosion., or at least a fire potential.
    It will take a series of deaths before the regulators slam dunk the concept and then regulate with massive fines towards application engineers, more money for solicitors. Obviously do not get envolved

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    Can you imagine a winding failure/ flash in a propane fridge. Whamo, explosion., or at least a fire potential.
    I presume you are talking about the combination of a refrigerant leak and an external ignition source.

Ive gone through many 100s of cylinders and a few torches and never had a leaker (keep it on the torch always). I doubt they are made any different for our market and i have never heard of anyone else here with problems. Time to ask around.

I put a cap on a mapp gas cylinder for several days.
    When I went to remove it , it was difficult because of pressure under the cap.
    Afew people have been killed, so you would be a fool to not take it seriously.
    If you leave torch on , valve only has to leak.

Over here it was all tanks before a given batch no. Now it's all made before 1 Jan this year.

Here's the relevant part of the email I received:
    ROTHENBERGER Australia Pty Ltd
    A.B.N. 12 008 411 658 (Incorporated in ACT)
    Unit 6, 13 Hoyle Ave, Castle Hill
    Sydney NSW, Australia, 2154.
    Telephone: (02) 9899 7577
    Facsimile: (02) 9899 7677
    Email: rothenberger@rothenberger.com.au
    Tuesday 17th January 2012
    SUBJECT: TOTAL MARKET RECALL OF ALL WORTHINGTON MADE CYLNDERS
    INCLUDING MAP/PRO GAS CYLINDERS (including Rothenberger & Super Ego brands)
    All Customers,
    Following our own official recall of select ROTHENBERGER & SUPER EGO brand Map/Pro Cylinders issued before Xmas, we have been officially advised by Worthington Cylinders USA, our source manufacturing partner, they have now finally decided to recall ALL Map/Pro Cylinders manufactured prior to 1 Jan 2012, across all brands/markets.
    Further official recall details will be issued later this week by Worthington Cylinders themselves who will now be issuing an official recall via the Australian (www.recalls.gov.au) & New Zealand regulators. Below is an excerpt of the official initial recall letter sent by Worthington covering the North American market.

Action
    Please cease sales of all Map/Pro stock in your network immediately and quarantine and send ALL ROTHENBERGER & SUPER EGO branded stock only back to us. Other brands will not be accepted and must be directed back to the original point of purchase.
    Product description
    ROTHENBERGER & SUPER EGO branded Map/Pro Gas Cylinder product, sold individually or sold as a set with brazing torch (Hotbox) - the yellow, handy sized, 400 gram cylinders.
    ROTHENBERGER cylinder only, Part No. 35663 / (HB) Hotbox with cylinder, Part No. 35490U
    SUPER EGO cylinder only, Part No. 35663C / (HB) Hotbox with cylinder, Part No. 35490SE
    New Stocks
    Advice from Worthington Cylinders USA indicates there will be some inevitable stock delays, but we are on track to have new stocks on hand by the end of February.
    Should you have further queries regarding this recall please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Service Team on 1800 186 657 or +61 (0)2 9899 7577 during business hours, or alternatively contact your local ROTHENBERGER / SUPER EGO Area Sales Manager who is on hand to assist as required.
    We apologise for the further inconvenience this total recall by Worthington may cause and thankyou for your continued understanding, patience and support. We assure you of the highest product quality and integrity of product at all times and are glad this wider action by the original manufacturer is finally being taken.
    Kind Regards,
    OLIVER TAYLOR
    Managing Director – Australia / NZ

As for how you store your torbo torch, personally I take the torch off so there's no chance of a leak via the torch. They all go in the (theoretically - it's a little worn & it's possible the door seal is no longer tight) sealed and (definitely) through-the-floor vented O/A storage.

I was under the impression that it was a requirement in Qld. that O/A in an enclosed vehicle be stored in this way.
    I don't know about the rest of Oz.

We bulk buy them to get a good deal :>(
    How COme theres no Notice In the ACTROL Stores?
    First thing Tomorrow ..Return all the bottle's... :>(
    If its Does'nt Work Use a bigger Hammer