Unhappy Zanissi zrb224nxo unheated utility

Hello, I hope someone can advise me.

In mid october I managed to pursuade my elderly aunt to buy a fridge freezer to keep in the house so she doesn't have to go out to the freezer in the garage on freezing winter nights.

The best place to put it seemed to be the utility room and a local company came out, measured up and installed a Zanissi zrb224nxo frost free. It worked fine until the beginning of January when the fridge part stopped working and the freezer started icing up.

An engineer came out an said a vent was blocked. He fixed this and also set the temperature in the fridge to normal. It seemed to work for a while, but now things are defrosting in the freezer and the temperature in the fridge is 10 degrees.

My Aunt rang Zanussi but was told that they wouldn't come out again as the problem was caused by the room being too cold. There isn't any heating in that room, though the oil boiler is in there. She has been measuring the minimum and maximum temperature in there and it has gone down to 14 degrees, though it has been mild.

Does this sound normal for these fridge freezers? Also, is it possible to wrap a blanket around the back to keep it warm, would that help?

Thank you, I would be so grateful for any advice. My aunt she is getting really upset that she spent so much money and it won't work at the very time of year she needs it.

Re: Zanissi zrb224nxo unheated utility

Put an electric wall mounted oil filled
    heater in the room or you could try an electric
    Blanket around the fridge not very safe though

I don't think she'd agree to spending money on heating that room.

I am worried that a blanket might be a fire risk. What do you think of lining the wall behind it with silver foil?

Quote Originally Posted by missmitzi View Post
    I don't think she'd agree to spending money on heating that room.

I am worried that a blanket might be a fire risk. What do you think of lining the wall behind it with silver foil?
    I was taking the proverbial when i said use a blanket, it would of course be a fire risk.
    if the room is too cold the only option you have is to heat the room. you can get a heater from Argos for £45, otherwise switch the fridge of and cut your losses.
    set the heater to its lowest setting and keep doors/windows closed
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...s|14417968.htm

Check defrost timer