Help with a Portable AC/Heat Pump

Hey Y'all! So I got me a 14,000 BTU DeLonghi Portable Air Conditioner with a Heat Pump function. Don't know of any of you are familur with this model, but I have some questions I couldn't find any answers to anywhere else, and I figured this is a good place for this type of thing by the looks of it. So if any of Y'all could help me out, I'd sure appreciate it!

This unit is a packaged unit that you put inside, it has 2 pipes vented outside, one for outside air intake and one for exhaust. Very great unit, is a 4-in-1, does AC/Heat at 14K BTU, and has a dehumidifier and fan functions. Runs on a standard 115 volt Circuit, and only draws 10 Amps. Pretty efficient, probably around 12-13 SEER not bad for a indoor unit. But works excellent. I've only had it for a few months, or maybe longer don't remember. Picked it up used at a flea market for $90! Great condition, just no remote or owner's manual, and can NOT find one.

So, my main question regards refrigerant migration on these things. I am pretty sure this unit does NOT have a crankcase heater. I lives out here in Northern Californee, it usually don't get to cold, maybe lowest in the 20s, usually mid 30s to high 40s over the winter as overnight lows. BUT, I'm very concerned about refrigerant migration.

It is newer on account it runs R410A. It runs a Rotary Compressor, not sure of the brand. I do see a wire going into the bottom of the compressor, but I'm pretty sure its a ground, and it goes to the base not like into the side of the compressor.

The WIERD thing though. It has this thing wraped all around the compressor! I looked into it with a flashlight thru the intake hole, and thought it was funny. And wandered about a CCH. Did some research and was relieved to here Rotarys and Scrolls can take it for a while, vs recips self destructing almost imediatly. But then found that over time the liquid refrigereant does wash out the bearings and can slowly destroy these too! So got me all worried again! So just the other day, I decided to have a look inside, always wandering how they worked anyways. I popped the front cover off, and can see everything. Pretty clean inside except for the coils will need a little blow of air but no big deal. But the compressor has this funny thing wrapped all around it. It is black, and has a velco strap. It is WIERD. Ain't never seed anything like it! It looks like one of them foam cup holder sort of things! I have pictures I will be posting on here in a little while. I would only imagine it could not be good, right? Couldn't that there lead to the compressor overheating in AC mode in the summer? Maybe in the winter its aftermarket to retain compressor heat? I don't know. Any ideas about this one?

Also, is a crankcase heater required for heat mode? Should I buy me one of them strap on CCHs? Or is it ok? I can't imagine why they would build one with a heat mode that can't actually do heat without self destructing. I here its more of an issue with larger split systems though, is this so or should I be concerned? I mean do all them window air conditioners with a heat mode have a CCH? Seriously don't have an idea. I have found models similar with Dual Hose+Heat Mode, none seem to warn much about low ambient, well in the room its not that cold just outside at least. room usually not below 60-67 Degrees.

I'm just a little worried about it. I could not afford another one if the compressor was to burn out due to that migration. I really appreciate any ideas, just would make me rest easier, I avoid using it cause of this and don't even feel comfortable leaving it running overnight with the low outdoor temps, if Y'all could help me out I'd preciate it!

Re: Help with a Portable AC/Heat Pump

Just wanted to let Y'all know I found out what that there think wrapped around the compressor is, its a sound jacket I believe, designed to reduce compressor noise, which makes since for a unit indoors such as this, I here these things reduce sounds as much as 40%. Do any of Y'all know anything about these? Is it ok to use in the summer, as in will it be less efficient [despite what them companies claim], or should it have no effect? I recon its ok as it probably came with the unit, not sure though.

No ideas yet? I am completely open to any suggestions or ideas you may have, I just want to here some ideas and opinions on this.

So I ain't really worried about anything now except for refrigerant migration. Why the hell does thing thing not have no CCH if its a heat pump?

I wouldn't be concerned about a crankcase heater as it is a package unit and all sections will be at the same temperature when not in use. It never had one to start with so manufacturers found it unnecessary to include one. No "window shaker" i know of has a CCH either, small confined and portable until installed. For 90 bucks, which is about the same in Aussie dollars, you have a bargain so fire it up and enjoy.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Thanks a lot for the info, really helps me out!

Yea I thought, why would they even include a heat mode if it would self destruct? I mean its not some foreign unheard of chinese brand, then maybe I could see that being the case, but you'd think there'd be more complaints on these heat pump models if they couldn't actually heat in low ambients without the compressor burning out.

So the temps will be pretty equal in a package unit? Thats one of the things I was thinking, but isn't the indoor coils that are the condensor in heat mode and evap in cool insulated from the "outdoor" coil set and compressor? Or, it probably doesn't matter. I mean with the pipes would bring in a cold draft to the compressor area, but this don't affect the indoor coils I don't think. But then again, yes with it being packaged it probably isn't like a split unit.

Yes, $90 was a hell of a bargin! The thing works damn good, does my room perfect. A little oversized for my bedroom, but its ok because the room has poor insulation anyways and gets lots of direct sunlight in the summer. It is great. I have a kinda redneck install though, with a piece of wood in the window and cut holes with a jigsaw, the windows are so bad it insulated better!

Also yea I don't think them Window units with HP have no crankcase heater. I think I heard it is more of a problem with the larger split units. Even them small mini splits some of Y'all was talking about them only using the CCH at temps below like 30 or something like that?

But that kind of lets me rest with it on easier, thanks preciate it!

And if anyone else has anything else to add, I'd love to hear it.

So don't nobody have nothing against not having a CCH? I do think its kind of unnecessary as mikeref pointed out with it being a packaged unit, but now I am wandering, yes it is a packaged unit, however the indoor coil set is still isolated from the outdoor set, right? So wouldn't they become signeficantly warmer than the outdoor set? Because the hose that goes outside can still radiate/be blown in by wind, can't it? But this wouldn't effect the indoor set would it? So wouldn't that lead to the compressor becoming colder than the indoor coil set? Or am I just overreacting over this?

I recon if no Window Heat pumps don't have no CCH then this should be fine.