Sabroe SMC new style suction and discharge coil springs.

Hi Guys!
    Is it just me or does anyone else find using the new style coil style springs a real pain.
    Mainly because they don't sit snuggly in their recesses like the old rolled leaf style.
    Which makes rebuilding the suction plates on the SMC 188 I am doing at the moment a real pain.
    Thats because their are 2 suction ring plates on these one either side of a spring retaining ring. Resulting in one of the 2 sides being inverted whilst assembling the liner.

I bet someone is saying it's the new improved design, "my arse" cheaper more like!
    A not so happy Grizzly

Re: Sabroe SMC new style suction and discharge coil springs.

Could'nt agree more Grizzly.

They should think like the Americans, "if it aint broke don't fix it".

Right or wrong, we just use grease to hold them in.

Mycom & Vilter at least have one end a bit bigger so you can clip them in, maybe that costs a bit extra when you make 1 billion of them in Sabroes case.

Wait for it & they will change it again so you can have Mk1,2,3 valve spring.

I was gonna say ,put a dab of grease on them .
    See we do think the same on the other sides of the world lol

Agreed, the new style spring are a pain in the arse, I use the valve retaining clips for the mycom k series to hold it all in place until the cap screws are done up. Also worth noting, they dont last as long as the old type spring and start breaking up after about 70% of the service life

Quote Originally Posted by mycom-man View Post
    Agreed, the new style spring are a pain in the arse, I use the valve retaining clips for the mycom k series to hold it all in place until the cap screws are done up. Also worth noting, they dont last as long as the old type spring and start breaking up after about 70% of the service life

Mycom man we usually get about 15-20 hrs on a "K" NH3 1440 rpm so don't know whats going on there!
    Also don't worry about clips, just use grease as well.
    Some may saywe are probably a bit rough, as grease is a contaminent but it works for us.

good day. i again learned something from the experts(you guys). had to overhaul our sabroe smc 112 last year, used the old part number for the spring (since the local supplier of sabroe comps did mot provide me an updated parts list).maybe it was better, since i would have had a problem installing the new springs, which you guys were complaining about. thanks again for sharing your experiences.

I feel for anyone who has to overhaul a SMC 188 let alone having to put up with those stupid new springs that probably have the highest margin of the entire sabroe parts list combined.
    Unfortunetly I too would turn to grease in a situation like this, mostly be cause its quicker but also because here in lil old NZ we dont usually have access to the fancy manufactures tool kits like our wealthy northern hemisphere counterparts so most overhaul tooling is made on the fly.
    This christmas i will wish that noone ever has to rebuild a smc 188 ever again, eww!