"Ammonia as a refrigerant"

Im doing a project as part of my final block of training as a refrigeration technician.
    I have chosen to research Ammonia as i have no experience in the workplace with it and would like to learn more about it.
    I would appreciate any info at all, especially from experienced technicians with experience of Ammonia on a daily basis.

Re: "Ammonia as a refrigerant"

Quote Originally Posted by PaulYeates View Post
    Im doing a project as part of my final block of training as a refrigeration technician.
    I have chosen to research Ammonia as i have no experience in the workplace with it and would like to learn more about it.
    I would appreciate any info at all, especially from experienced technicians with experience of Ammonia on a daily basis.
    Hello Paul.

Ammonia is one of the best refrigerants you could ever hope to work with.

One thing about Ammonia is it will always and I repeat always let you know it is out of its box.....

Ammonia as far as efficiency goes is the next best thing compared to water for transfering heat energy.

Water will also absorbe NH3 so it can be safely vented through water to attmosphere making it
    environmentaly good. It has no potential to damage both the Ozone layer or cause climate change.

It is easy to work with if you respect it and if you don't respect it, it gives you a slap to get your attention.

I can't think of anything more but others will.

taz

ammonia venting

Taz 24 , I´m sure about it, and I knew it for years.

Code:
    Water will also absorbe NH3 so it can be safely vented through water to attmosphere making it environmentaly good. It has no potential to damage both the Ozone layer or cause climate change.

But I need some "oficial" place or safety standard where I can step on it , to show it to my customer.

Did you know where I can find such rule??

Hi, PaulYeates

Welcome to RE forums...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulYeates View Post
    I'm ammonia guy for 30+ years .... don't know what you need, but you can take a look here... all about natural refrigerants ....

http://www.eurammon.com/englisch/html/index.html

something about ammonia properties...

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/ammo...ndex.html#pure

something about ammonia manufacturing.....

http://www.cheresources.com/ammonia.shtml

something very important to learn ....

http://www.nh3gccc.com/ammonia-refri...nformation.htm

hope you'll find something of help...

Some will not agree with me, please, do not forget, ever: ammonia is a deadly dangerous substance, but with its smell always warning us as a friend ... my friend I'm here, be careful .... other, not bad smelling and according to general assumption "good" and "green" gases - without bad smell - just give a deadly hug and kill us in silence by suffocation.

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Thank You Taz....much appreciated!!

Thank You Josip, appreciate your help!!

Paul.
    We all mention the potential negatives of Ammonia.
    But they are no more than any other toxic or harmful substance.
    Some simple positives are....

Ammonia is a natural substance which does no harm to the environment or ozone layer.

Because it's a natural substance it's very cheap to produce and therefore cheap to purchase.

An ammonia plant generally uses a third less energy for the same duty when compared other refrigerants.

Historically their use has been restricted to larger systems, where the initial install costs were absorbed due to their longevity and cheaper operational costs.

Now with copper and refrigerant prices so high.
    Using ammonia has never been such a good option.

Sadly there are still to many short sited Accountants controlling engineering budgets.

From an Engineers view Ammonia makes a lot of sense but not for all applications obviously.

Grizzly