carrier 30gx or hxc oil level measurement

Hi, Would someone be able to advice or post a link of how to measure oil level using seperate hoses and oil sight glass for the HXC or GX chillers.

Have a 30 GX chiller that has been played around by other contractors and needs to be sorted out by us.

Oil filter and internal strainer needs to be replaced, pressure diffrence is high and faults out on oil pressure difference.

Oil has been added by others but dont know what amount, if someone can advise on how to check oil level so we can correct it and save us from draining the whole lot and measure it again.

thanks in advance

Re: carrier 30gx or hxc oil level measurement

Hi airmate

Addition of oil charge to 30HX/GX systems

1. If the 30HXC/GX unit shuts-off repeatedly on Low oil

Level, this may be an indication of inadequate oil charge. It

could also mean simply that oil is in the process of being

reclaimed from the low-side of the system.

2. Begin by running the unit at full-load for an hour and a

half.

3. After running for 1-1/2 hours allow the unit to re-start and

run normally. If the Low Oil Level alarms persist, the unit

has a low oil charge. Add oil to the oil separator, using the

oil charging valve at the bottom of the condenser (30HXC)

or at the bottom of the oil separator (30GX).
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Hi Chillerman2006,

Thanks for the reply but what i am looking for is a way of determining the level of oil inside the system. I have been previuosly advised of a way of checking this using 3/8 sight glass and hoses but need a literature or a practical guideline to execute this method correctly as i have never attempted this method before.

My worry is that the previous contractors have been topping up the oil level when problem were the filters and strainers had a pressure drop higher than recommended. So as to what amount or level of oil is inside the system is a worry.

Go to the inputs menu on pro dialog (this is for a phase2 black PD+ SYPNOPSIS BOARD)
    Inputs 7 Oil level circuit a
    Inputs 8 Oil level circuit B
    This will indicate either open or closed, once you have changed your filters run the machine up and if your oil pressure is within range and oil level remains closed and you needn't worry.
    Should your oil diff remain high then you need to start draining oil drain 1litre at a time then check operation trying to check with lines and sight glasses will only tell you the level in the opil sep or if HXC the condenser and not the full system, which is no good, as oil holds up in the vessels on these machines.
    The oil quantity on thes machines has to be within +-1litre so if you still have trouble drain the lot and refill to manufacturers guidlines for oil type and volume.
    Full model and serial and i'll get you the oil charges

Thanks James will definetly give it a go and i have the oil charge guidelines with me for that particular model but would be still interesting to find out how to measure the oil level which you had reffered in your last post

check with lines and sight glasses will only tell you the level in the opil sep or if HXC the condenser

on trane units at the bottom of the oil sep theres an access line fit ur red hose to this,fit ur blue hose to the discharge line,vac the yellow line to remove air moisture,(its a good idea to have ball valves on ur gauge lines) with ur yelow line isolated,open both gauge ports and the service valves and move the manifold up/down whilst looking through the sight glass to determine the oil level in the seperators-with the machine running of course.

hi airmate. if its a french made 30GX you can use the 3/8 port beneath the the oil separator service valve, attach one hose (use a 3/8 - 1/4 fittings) from there then use an elongated sight glass then connect the other hose to the discharge transducer port (remove transducer). you can also do this on the evaporator since it has 3/8 ports beneath and on top of the cooler. then you can move your sight glass up and down slowly....I've done this to check oil actual oil levels before on a 30GX and a trane RTAA...hope this helps