Plate Heat Exchanger?

Hi, I know this is maybe kinda late, but I've just heard about this thing called plate heat exchanger (PHE) which is supposedly more effective than the conventional type.

I am making chiller for aquarium, how much benefit it is to use PHE compared to the conventional type? Also how to determine the PHE size, or thickness in relation to the compressor size?

Thank you.

Re: Plate Heat Exchanger?

It's never to late to ask a qeustion. PHE is smaller and cheaper and you need to size it with or the proper manufacturer software - which is mosly for free - or catalogues. Thre are too many variables before you can choose the right one and thickness has nothing to to do with it. You need at least refrigerant, Q, temp in/out water (mostly 5K DT), desired evaporating temperature,.... Alfa Laval ahs a very good manual on their website.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

ysh, and one more. PHE is very sensible to dirt. Dont forget to install strainer on inlet.

Thank you all for the kind reply, I will look further into PHE, it seems like a better alternative for me.

Blog Entries

It is better to use shell and tube heat exchanger in aquarium application because of ease of cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by nike123 View Post
    It is better to use shell and tube heat exchanger in aquarium application because of ease of cleaning.
    Thanks nike123, I will take that into consideration