23XL Howden Compressor

Hi guys,

I've got a rebuild to do on a Howden screw compressor from a 23XL chiller on R22. I could do with a manual. Anyone got one I could use?

Re: 23XL Howden Compressor

By the way, it's a Frame 4 model - 1.25MWr. It's a good size. Weighs about a tonne and a half. I think there's some fancy tools required to look after these as they are coming apart. Any info or links to info on offer will be most gratefully accepted.

Scramjetman

The only fancy tools is a 10tonne porta power which I'm sure you can hire.
    If its more than 15 yrs old or so you may require a thrust bearing locknut spanner.

Have you ever worked on a screw before?

What machine is it WRV255 ?

Not this size. 350 tons. Compressor is 13 year old. I've got all the service bulletins for it and they give us a fair bit of info, but we could do with a teardown and reassemble procedure. It will just speed things up for us. Portapower's no problem.

I'm not dissing your skill levels but screw comps run very high tolerances. If you dont have the experience i wouldn't attempt it. We make most of our own tools as we go such as bearing pullers. remember bearing and gasket kits are not cheap, use the correct tools and measure twice.

Thanks Savoc. I've got a pretty savvy fitter on the job. We've got it apart ok. Motor's off and slide valve assembly is off. Just need a bit of guidance in getting the rotor assembly apart now if anyone can assist. Its got a whole stack of bearings in there and the client wants to replace them all. A take-apart manual or service bulletin on the rotor assembly would be good.

My apologies too - when we got it into the shop, it turned out to be an Ingersoll Rand compressor - not a Howden. It's got the thermistor box on the top which is a give away on the manufacturer.

Can you post a picture or something, as I think it might be a Frick compreesor.
    Ingersll Rand use them in refrigeration from what I can gather.

Well, the latest is we got it apart comfortably. To do it, we made up a toolkit for it and it worked well. Thanks for your input.