diesel particulate filter

does anyone know if they can be cleaned out,mine has blocked and will not clear was thinking of taking it off and soaking it in degreaser it will not clear by itself its on a vw van anybody had any experience?.

Re: diesel particulate filter

they can be cleaned out....

I've seen a video of a machine made to do truck ones, it used high pressure compressed air to blast the cra out at close range...

I've heard about people using a steam cleaner and it working fine...

I don;t think a de-greaser will work well... it's more soot than grease....

what kind of car/van is it attached too ?

some of them you can just base the middle out and it won;t know the difference... some newer vehicles have more sensors and will know you've done it and throw up an error
    (but even then you can turn it off in the ecu)

either way.... it's £££££££ if you want a new one

my friendly mechanic has said about the pressure washer fix,its a crafter and if you destroy its inards you have to tell the ecu,yes i have seen the vids from the states it looks like a money earner thats for sure.

i believe a pdf is cleaned by heat on its natural regeneration process so would heating it up help? if not euro car parts have a techinical side and they are pretty good on the german stuff they maybee able to help is it a blue motion version

hi charlie no its not a blue motion type i think i am going to have it taken off the guts ripped out of it and the ecu remapped fed up with it,the only problem i can forsee is the mot/emissions but i guess there is someway around that [nod nod wink wink].

Think they only do a soot test on diesel emissions test, just had my van mot'd this week and it didn't even register on the tester, don't think must crap comes out of modern diesels, filter or not.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

guess your right they fit items that are just money earners for garages,i cannot wait to have them and the prats who charge me and do things that i dont like to my bottom in my sights,thanks for the advice guys.merry xmas to you all+yours.

I used to work for a Vauxhall main stealer. DPF on those vehicles had a pressure sensor each side. When they gave different readings enough to indicate a restriction they would regenerate. Not quite in a Dr Who way but sometimes impressive results could be seen.

Diesel would be injected to cause it to burn in the DPF. This heat would burn all the soot out and normal service resumed. If driving conditions were such that regeneration couldn't take place (such as engine revs too low) then eventually the engine light would come on. Plug in the scanner and manually regnerate the beast. It took about 20 mins and the exhaust would glow red - enough to melt tarmac or some workshop floors.

Another way to regenerate them is to have a seperate tank with a stuff called Serin I think. this would be injected into the DPF to achieve the same result but would have to be refilled which was part of the service schedule. Seen it on French cars. But then they've always had their own quirky way of doing things. Just ask any Citroen mechanic.

In your case I'd try giving the van a good spanking down the road. Probably wont clear it out as I don't think it would get hot enough but worth a try (unless that is your normal driving technique!) There may be a software update even to address the issue. Vauxhall were forever bringing them out to tweak running parameters.

Theory says you could take the insides of the DPF out because the ECU is looking for a pressure difference. Times may well have changed though and it wouldn't surprise me if a fault code would be generated as no pressure difference is recorded at all.

As far as the MOT test is concerned the van should still pass. Vehicles before 1979 had a visual smoke check. Vehicles after 1979 have a measurement taken which so far has not been made any more stringent.

Cheers,
    Andy.
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

the modren mot test on emmisions is a bit of a farce because the engine is on not on load it does not register the boost thus the load emmisions and most modern vechicles only rev to a certain spec thus no load, the only thing to be aware of is there is a new check comeing or cureent not sure which about the engine management light not allowed to be on during a test so if you remove it will it bring the light on if it does you have cured one fault and caused another prehaps go on one of the vw forums they may be able to help

got it sorted had a forced regeneration done on it by a good friend,taking it off is not good sense too many problems ecu related,i have found out that the oil type and spec are an important factor which i have strictlet adhered to but the owner before me probably did not,going to use a fuel additive which is designed solely for the purpuse of assisting operation of the filter.

! it blocked again so i have changed it for a new one wow! it flies now so my pocket was hit hard but fitted it myself what a job mainly because of its location someone has told me they may have ceramic inside and the pressure washer option but i would not like to take it off clean it put it back on and find out it has not worked,so yes thanks to you all for the advice a note of warning!!!! these things are not cheap and are a high risk theft item like catalytic converters and some companies make guards to cover them .

It looks like you could have find all you need here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...All-Categories

Quote Originally Posted by cadwaladr View Post
    ! it blocked again so i have changed it for a new one wow! it flies now so my pocket was hit hard but fitted it myself what a job mainly because of its location someone has told me they may have ceramic inside and the pressure washer option but i would not like to take it off clean it put it back on and find out it has not worked,so yes thanks to you all for the advice a note of warning!!!! these things are not cheap and are a high risk theft item like catalytic converters and some companies make guards to cover them .
    Out of curiosity how much is a replacement?

they cost between £600 and £1000,do not know how much the job would cost at vw but would guess around £2000+vat

Ouch! .

Still like you said by doing it yourself you made a saving and at least you know it has been done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by djbe View Post
    Ouch! .

Still like you said by doing it yourself you made a saving and at least you know it has been done properly.
    thanks for the compliment i hope your right,another point on doing away with the dpf which i have not done,do you have to tell dvla as the vehicle is now modified my van is only about £105 to tax for 12 months as it is a euro4 without the filter it is no longer a euro4 so should pay a different rate?

I have used an ultrasonic filter cleaning service for extremely expensive ammonia oil filters at 25 micron, the junk that came was incredible.

thanks for the compliment i hope your right,another point on doing away with the dpf which i have not done,do you have to tell dvla as the vehicle is now modified my van is only about £105 to tax for 12 months as it is a euro4 without the filter it is no longer a euro4 so should pay a different rate?
    I read somewhere that it is actually illegal to tamper with / modify the any of the systems relating to emmisions control nowadays?

my 10 plate vw crafter has given up the ghost- particle filter on permanantly,glow plugs flashing and engine light flashing-had to drive 20miles at 50mph flat out as it was in safe mode! (wold only rev to 2000rpm) always kept it topped up with adblu-18mth old and 65,000 on the clock-oh well its under warranty!!!-driver doesnt flash i normally streak!haha

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    my 10 plate vw crafter has given up the ghost- particle filter on permanantly,glow plugs flashing and engine light flashing-had to drive 20miles at 50mph flat out as it was in safe mode! (wold only rev to 2000rpm) always kept it topped up with adblu-18mth old and 65,000 on the clock-oh well its under warranty!!!-driver doesnt flash i normally streak!haha
    Could be the nut behind the wheel

could be actually as i destroyed transit gearboxes previously 2 in 6mths-maybe its my heavy right foot or my cornering/drift techniques!! haha- its gonna be faster when i get it back -no soot/cra.p in the exhaust system

get them to put some bigger injectors in it out of the 174hp engine!

Get them to give you a skateboard.

Cheers
    Stu
    could be actually as i destroyed transit gearboxes previously 2 in 6mths-maybe its my heavy right foot or my cornering/drift techniques!! haha- its gonna be faster when i get it back -no soot/cra.p in the exhaust system
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

hopefully have found a additive that helps anything with a dpf,its made by a company called jlm marketed as jlm diesel particulate filter cleaner my mechanic friends say they have used it and with excellent results will keep posting if it does not live up to its promise.

I hear there is a driving school around the corner....

hopefully have found a additive that helps anything with a dpf,its made by a company called jlm marketed as jlm diesel particulate filter cleaner my mechanic friends say they have used it and with excellent results will keep posting if it does not live up to its promise.
    Is your engine the same as in the Merc?

no its a vw engine 2.5 litre but most of the other parts are merc

The other half got a new polo for her driving school car a tdi with the particlate filter in it , when we bought , i was told that if the light goes on to go out an rally the a**e out of it beacuse it needs a lot of heat so the regeneration takes place

Light been on twice ,had fun twice , no problems as yet

Jamie

me crafter has a sticker saying 4th or 5th gear 2000rpm for 15 mins- ive flogged the knackers off it to try and clean it- if it stays on then get ready for safe mode-65,000 miles mine started flashing up

me crafter has a sticker saying 4th or 5th gear 2000rpm for 15 mins- ive flogged the knackers off it to try and clean it- if it stays on then get ready for safe mode-65,000 miles mine started flashing up
    get some of that jlm diesel particle filter cleaner its on ebay