Thread: Daikin E5 fault

Daikin E5 fault

Have been playing with a Daikin RXYQ18 and a RXYQ8 which are hooked up as master and slave condensing units. I started off with an E4 fault on the slave unit which turned out to be the lp switch had sheared off the suction pipe on the slave unit - decanted both units , repaired , pressure tested etc. Put 4 kg into the system as a holding charge ( system takes 51 kg of R410a ) just to see me through to the morning. I then pumped the remainder of the charge into the liquid line the following day with a reclaim unit. Powered the system back up and I now get E5 faults on the slave unit which I think are compressor overheat or locked compressor. So far I have meggered the compressor , checked the windings and had an invertor checker on - all of which seem ok. Tomorrow im going to de cant the slave unit only just to see if I have filled it with liquid - I dont think I have. Only thing I didnt do was to leave the crank case heaters on for very long , half hour at the most ( ambient was about 7 degrees ). Is there anything else I need to check?
    Many thanks , Phil

Re: Daikin E5 fault

Quote Originally Posted by phil17 View Post
    Only thing I didnt do was to leave the crank case heaters on for very long , half hour at the most ( ambient was about 7 degrees ). Is there anything else I need to check?
    Many thanks , Phil
    Hi Phil, Compressor bottom shell temperature minimum required 21C++, only 30 minutes with crankcase heater with 7C ambient is a doubt for me at least. I think compressor was locked by liquid. Hope this will help for at least next time around. Always feed gas to your compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeAT50A View Post
    Hi Phil, Compressor bottom shell temperature minimum required 21C++, only 30 minutes with crankcase heater with 7C ambient is a doubt for me at least. I think compressor was locked by liquid. Hope this will help for at least next time around. Always feed gas to your compressor.
    Your right about the crankcase heater should have left it on overnight really. De canted the slave unit and only got vapour out , the accumalator and compressor didnt go frosty so I dont think I filled it full of liquid which was a relief. Spoke to Daikin and went through everything they sugguested and it seems that the invertor pack is u/s.They didnt seem to fussed about the compressor - so time will tell on that one.Only ever been to site twice and noticed last time that the master unit didnt seem very keen to run. Disabled the slave unit via the controller and then found that the master still isnt keen on running - so going back tomorrow in daylight to give it a kick. Bloody air conditioning.

What is the full model RXYQ18??? VRV2 or 3?
    Did you use the vac/reclaim mode when reclaiming? This MUST be used when reclaiming & evacuating.
    Did you charge liquid into the suction or discharge lines?

They didnt seem to fussed about the compressor - so time will tell on that one.Only ever been to site twice and noticed last time that the master unit didnt seem very keen to run. Disabled the slave unit via the controller and then found that the master still isnt keen on running - so going back tomorrow in daylight to give it a kick. Bloody air conditioning.
    The system also has an automatic back-up function which will disable one module automatically when a fault occurs and the remote is turned off/on

Quote Originally Posted by VRVIII View Post
    What is the full model RXYQ18??? VRV2 or 3?
    Did you use the vac/reclaim mode when reclaiming? This MUST be used when reclaiming & evacuating.
    Did you charge liquid into the suction or discharge lines?

The system also has an automatic back-up function which will disable one module automatically when a fault occurs and the remote is turned off/on
    System is a RXYQ8P8W1B vrv 3. Have to be honest didnt use the vac/reclaim mode assumed I could pull the gas out of both sides for the fan coils. Only pressure tested the slave unit , mainly because there were people in the building which wasnt ideal then dumped the nitrogen , opened up the slave and vac'd the whole system down to 6 Torr. Only stuck vapour in the suction and discharge lines and pumped liquid down the liquid line.
    Havent been back to look at the master unit due to the weather being so bad , no fault codes showing and the invertor compressor looks ok on the windings.

Question Re: Daikin E5 fault

Just out of interest, how do you put the system into reclaim/evacuate mode?
    Do you have to set certain dip switches? If so which ones???

From memory, you have to go into code 21 to open all of the internal and external valves for leak testing and evacuating. If you do not, there is a good chance that either some refrigerant or nitrogen could become trapped, only to wreak havoc later on.
    Mobile A/C at its best, see avatar.
    Bedford. Now retired and trying to relax.