System Energy Analysis - Ideas/comments?

Hi guys,

I apologise if something like this already exists, but I have been a bit out of touch with the forum of late.

I am looking at creating a tool/model in order to estimate the annual energy use of a refrigeration plant serving an air conditioning system i.e. chillers, splits, dx etc.
    I am unsure of a starting point, although I do have a general idea of what this should contain using degree days to assume running times for the plant.

So what I would like to know is 1. Does something like this already exist aside from costly software like IES/Hevacomp? (I was hoping for something in excel). and 2. If not, do some of the more experienced of you have any ideas or methodologies that I can use?

I look forward to any responses and if I do manage to create something, would be happy to share.

Thanks in advance,

Bash

Re: System Energy Analysis - Ideas/comments?

Hi Bash1803
    There is a lot of info on this topic in this forum. There is to my knowledge no free software for excel, but for anything that would be accurate for calculations would be extensive as there are so many variables.
    Basic ideas:
    Take a holistic approach and look at the system as a whole then look at the sub systems for calculations, then look back at how this works with the whole system. I assume your goal is to calculate energy savings.
    Areas to target are not only the cooling/heating but the air side as well, some companies look at only one area. Check out the biggest bang for your buck and keep it economical so as the customer can afford any changes. I worked for a company who helped develop software for commercial buildings and they had a whole team of software engineers working for many years so it's not a small task you want to take on.

Re: System Energy Analysis - Ideas/comments?

Go to TACO HVAC they have a fee system analysis tool. It might help. Randy in Chicago