Concern about R600a in Refrigerators

Our domestic fridge has just packed up after 25 years service. Need to replace it but concerned after reading reports about the explosions and fires caused by the use of R600a in domestic fridges (now used because 'green' people were worried about the gases used in the older fridges not being ozone friendly). Personally, I feel less worried about the green issue, than having a possible 'time bomb' in the kitchen. Some of the reports I read were at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ge-freezer-rec... also another report : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1ex6Vo292 -
    Plus the fact, we’ve heard of a poor family who just lost their home to fire this month, which was caused by the fridge exploding!
    We're having a problem locating details on the internet, details on each manufacturers spec pages about their fridges for sale, which gas is in their fridges. Does anyone know of any new fridges that do not contain this R600a and if so, what model numbers they are – or, if we have no choice and have to buy one – can we remove the R600a, and replace it by another gas and if so, what precautions must be observed.
    Thanks and respect -

Re: Concern about R600a in Refrigerators

Go to fridge shop, look at fridge see if it says R600a, R290 or isobutane etc on compressor, is so don't buy it. Simples.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

If new fridge has a big green eco friendly sticker on, its bound to have explosive refrigerant in it. Double check with retailer and look at compressor as MS suggsted.

Thank you monkey spanner and magoo for your expertise and guidance

95% of all domestic frdges and freezers now use R600a. So good luck in your hunt.
    Tony

Thanks Tony

I've been concerned about this issue for a while now, seems nobody else is really greatly concerned though, it would appear that if you already have gas in your home then you already have that probabilty (of explosion)

To make a bad situation worse....... and possibly stoke up your concerns further, if the back of the fridge has the words " PENTANE " stencilled on it, then the insulation is likely to be blown with Hydrocarbons as well as it inside the innards.

For the stuff to explode, you need

....a leak , obviously
    .......... a critical mixture of air / Hydrocarbon.

................. a spark.

To get back to reality, these things are intrinsically safe, after all your old one lasted 25 years, presumably without a leak, and if anything, manufacturing safety processes have improved since then. But you can still get non HC fridges if you look around.

You're probably worrying about nothing, but you may be the one person in several million who buys the one-in-several-million dud fridge with the built-in leak that occurs at midnight, the day after the warranty runs out, to come out of the many, many factories around the world.

I'd play safe if I were you.

Last edited by Argus; 08-12-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Thank you Richardb14 and Argus too for your input ... not bought a new fridge yet in case anyone's wondering. I'll not check again now, as was really looking for model numbers of fridges without R600A and not just manufacturers names. My husband reckons the leaks may be happening because a lot of the fridges are made abroad now and are possibly being churned out, without too much due care and attention - God knows. If's that's the case, it's a pity they didn't keep the jobs here, instead of sending them abroad (for the more obvious reasons than just this one). Keep up all your good work you professionals. It was nice meeting you all, so to speak. I'll close on an old favourite piece of writing I once came accross:-

Things men have made,
    With wakened hands,
    And put soft life into,
    Are awake through years,
    With transferred touch.
    And for this reason,
    Some old things are lovely,
    Warm still with the lives,
    Of forgotten men who made them.