Panasonic Split cassette- Compressor Tripping

Hey guys, Got another doosey. I just want to double check my finidings with some experienced techs.

I have a 10 kw panasonic split casset unit, At arrival i found the unit in what the fault code said to be compressor o/l protection. I reset unit and compressor would start up and seem fine, but within 15-20 seconds it would start to make a loud/rattle noise and trip. The system would do this 4-5 times then the pcb would obviously show up the same fault (compressor o/l)

I measured the current and when compressor sounded normal it was pulling around 15-17amps, but at about 15-20 seconds run time you could here it load up, get noise and increase amps close to 30amps and then trip.

Starting for the compressor is permanent split capacitor. I was thinking possibly the caps are ****ged. I visually inspected them, They seemed o.k but did not test them as i didnt have a capacitance tester with me.

In my opinion the compressor seems to be mechanically locking up due to the sound therefore pulling over amps, but im also wondering why it sounds normal and pumps for the 15-20 seconds before the noise and trip happens.

The manager on site said a few days prior to me being on site that the outdoor unit was making a loud noise. ( i think this was the start of the comp failing)

Any thoughts? Cheers. P.s Valves are open

Re: Panasonic Split cassette- Compressor Tripping

Outdoor unit model number, and the actual faultcode please? (F32-05) ?

Sounds more like flood back with the loud rattle noise

This sounds worse then flood back although it may be.

Stefs- you have the right fault code it was f32-05 Compressor overcurrent protection.

The model of the outdoor unit is CU-B34DBE5.

cheers

First thing I would do, is remove the soft starter (sure start6?) and return the wiring to factory, and try again.

(but I suspect your compressor has failed)
    Last edited by stefs_cruiser; 30-11-2011 at 02:30 AM.

Change the capacitor first, before you condemn the compressor. Capacitors can fail under load, best is to try a replacement. Just to test it can be a value close to the recommended, or a little higher. 20% up or 10% down is ok for testing.

if your going to order spares from panasonic then be careful,there stock is mislabelled- ive ordered a compressor for a cu250 r407c they sent me a r22 compressor,check the nameplate on the possibly faulty comp and compare with the new one