boosting the power from a van/car better mpg?

does anyone have any experience[practical] of this,my van is a vw transporter t35 and have been told if i have it remapped to 170bhp it will be faster which i can understand but better mpg?

Re: boosting the power from a van/car better mpg?

yes all of the above is true but hard on the clutch

I have used it on my berlingo, it is faster then a BMW, stronger and use less gas. the point is that when you have more power, you raise your foot a bit, a stronger engine will consume less gas.
    I bought mine here, http://www.bhpplus.co.uk/ but have a check in goooooogle, there are many companies.

more power less thrash is more mpg spot on but that vw engine aint the strongest and the clutches are weak the power upgrades reduce the turbo lag to be fair

It will produce more power and better mpg but will not meet the emission regs for new vehicles but will still be ok for an mot

Quote Originally Posted by Quality View Post
    It will produce more power and better mpg but will not meet the emission regs for new vehicles but will still be ok for an mot
    me thinks not to bother then too many pitfalls and the emission regs well may as well save up for the sportline the thing is i have been told they drink fuel so how boosting mine up to near a sportline bhp can save fuel i do not get thanks guys for your input.

Get the sportline and have it chipped.....
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Quote Originally Posted by cadwaladr View Post
    me thinks not to bother then too many pitfalls and the emission regs well may as well save up for the sportline the thing is i have been told they drink fuel so how boosting mine up to near a sportline bhp can save fuel i do not get thanks guys for your input.
    It all depends on who told you they drink fuel?
    I know of someone who regularly used to get at least 7mpg less out of the identical van to mine? It's all down to how you drive it. If you are paying for your own fuel you are going to be a lot less heavy footed than someone who has no direct incentive to save money.
    Must admit I am undecided on the chip route though.

Get it done by a respected mapper, dont buy an 'off the shelf' jobby(big trouble, little china!!). In the subarucommunity the jolly green mapper is the main man!! He does it live while ur in the vehicle, he is not limited to subaru either check his website or google him he is an ex ba systems engineer.

Don't forget to notify your insurance! This is classed as an engine modification and could affect your cover.
    Mobile A/C at its best, see avatar.
    Bedford. Now retired and trying to relax.

Yes.

I posted on this subject a while ago http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...earchid=225914

I fitted a DTUK Tuning box http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/ to my A6 Avant 1.9Tdi 130. It boosted power up to approx 160bhp (from 130bhp) & torque up to 385Nm (from 310Nm). Major improvement in acceleration and fuel consumption which is now running at 53-54mpg. I still have the car which had to have a new clutch & DMF fitted earlier this year but at 130,000 miles that was to be expected. I reckon over the time I've had it fitted it's paid for itself 2 times over. The old girl is getting a bit long in the tooth now (8 years old) but she can still pick up her skirt and deliver v good acceleration when needed & I've never had any MOT emission issues either. However, my main aim is to see how high I can get the mpg & this is where the higher torque comes in because you can change gear earlier which keeps the revs down & so saves fuel. The best so far was on a motorway run down to the south of France on which I averaged 58mpg & that was cruising at 70-80mph with 5 up, roof box & a shed load of camping gear on board - in a big old estate car.
    Whe the time comes to sell or trade the car in I can simply remove the Tuning Box & no one would know it's ever had one fitted.

Search the web for Diesel Tuning which will bring up all the Tuning & remap sites. You may also want to take a look at the VAG forum to see what they have on there http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/ . This site is mainly for cars but if you know a VAG car that uses the same engine as in your Transporter you may be able to find some interesting info or advice.
    Good thing about the tuning boxes is that if your are not happy you can return it & get a refund. Judging by the customer coments on the site I bought mine from I don't think they have ever had to refund anyones money - lots of happy customers. Take a look at the TDUK site, plug in the make, model & engine type of your van & see what their box can do for you. They post overnight & you can fit it yourself in 30mins or less. Simples!!!

Whatever you do go for post your experience back here so we can see how you got on.
    If in doubt read the instructions. If still in doubt follow them.