Thread: Torch

Torch

Could you guys compare acetylen x LPG torch: temperatures, advantages and disadvantages.
    Also about these portable MAPP gas torch and their limitations.

Moises

Re: Torch

Hi Acrisoft
    I have tried them all (nearly). But swear by the recent availability of Oxy & Mapp gas welding set - It weighs about less than 4 kGs and I have welded 1 3/8" pipe with it. For sweating 1 1/8" pipe I use the Oxy & Mapp set with an additional Mapp torch. The others are simply too heavy. They are all hot enough to weld copper with. The size is also a bonus. The kit costs less than AUD$400. I would only use the normal Oxy Acetylene on a big install with lots of welding. One advantage for the big heavy set is for welding a valve (4way, TEV, ball etc) where you need fast preheating so as not to damage the internals and a quick weld. There is more info on this new kit in this forum somewhere.

i heard that the oxy runs out very quick. Is this true?

if there is plenty of space the mapps are fine we carry the twin and single flue version but if you have a confined space or a bad bit ofcopper or anything larger than 13/8 stick to oxy you get a more lacal heat with oxy and you dont have to get the area so hot over such a wide area

Yes Savoc it uses two oxy to one mapp gas.
    Last edited by Tesla; 23-11-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Typo

oxy/mapp gas for me,i have used them all the mapp on its own is too widespread with its heat on a big install its different space limitations etc,some people use propane/oxy [everytime i use it outside a force nine gale comes from nowhere and lighting up is a little difficult.