First compressor change.

Hi guys not sure if this is the right thread to post in but here's where i'm at, still new to this site and the game reading a lot of the back posts some good info in them, but may take a long time to read the ones of intrest.

Done a couple of little jobs mainly evaps frozen over and re gas system.

All going well in couple of days will have my first compressor change to do, now the question is what do and don'ts as this is my first one i'm full of beans and raring to get on it.

But my only draw back is that i'm following a company that has lost the contract due to being not that good, do i try and re-diagnose the the fault or steam full ahead then if it dont work blame the previous contractors and re-diagnose then?

Any advice welcome.

Re: First compressor change.

are you quailified?

Yes i am qualified but as I've been finding out, this game is a lot harder to sort problems out, as when you go on a job you have no idea what the previous people have done, as there is a lot of variables as to what can cause the same symptoms.

Unlike the commercial catering i know about there are rough set values you can work to even with out the data tag visually u can see the flame on most kit to work from.

Im only asking as try avoided the basic mistakes before ive made them, as i try and do the best job i can do.

I would carry out my own test on the compressor. I not would trust what the owner tells you. Compressor could have cut out on thermal overload, could have fault capacitors. Check windings, carry out compressor efficiency test.

Definetly do your own complete system diagnostics and go from there.

Yes, use your expertise and diagnose the problem yourself. Act like no one ever looked at it but you, and troubleshoot. It doesn't matter what others have said. If you listen only to what the owner says, you may not solve the problem, but of course use what he says to help you troubleshoot the issue. You could ask someone more knowledgeable in refrigeration to help you and split the profit with him. But if you aren't qualified, you could find yourself losing time, money, reputation and even hurt yourself and others.

To make a long story short, "...........dance like nobody see you"

you might fail at first but don't let it get to you, if you cant learn from someone else's mistakes, learn from your own.

If it is the compressor remember to change the drier and give the system a good blow through.
    Nothing like running up and finding you have a blockage...

Just to update completed the change put a new dryer on as well for good measure, a little trickey doing the top joint on the dryer but got there in the end, in total about 6 hours work but the fridge is now up and running and customer is happy.

Way to go NOBOW!!! Awesome!

nevgee is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Quote Originally Posted by nobow View Post

But my only draw back is that i'm following a company that has lost the contract due to being not that good, do i try and re-diagnose the the fault or steam full ahead then if it dont work blame the previous contractors and re-diagnose then?

Any advice welcome.
    I would be careful when blaming others for a bad job. You need to develop a level of professionalism that keeps you aiming high. Aim to be the best by being meticulous and analysing the problems to discover the reasons for failures. Take your time, be truthful to yourself and your customers, in the long run they will appreciate your honesty.

Keep your jobs clean and, I know lots don't, use ofn where ever possible to keep the system clean.

Make a return visit to confirm your compressor is ok and do a leak test, an oil acid test and insulation check on the compressor. Then offer to the customer a return visit in say 9 -12 months for his peace of mind, chargeable of course.

Good luck.
    Reality is an elusion created by alcohol deficiency. Quaff and enjoy. [Yorkshire, UK]

Thanks for the comments,i will get to check the fridge as we now have 2 yearly service contract with all the kitchen equipment.

Good work soldier!

Firms I've worked for quote about 4 hrs generally for a hermetic compressor change. I've never done one quicker than that. Quite a lot longer once when I blocked the drier joint up with braze!
    Watch out for the natural pump down, no drier or pressure test, gas and go merchants. Best take your time and get it right first off like you've seen to have done.

Driers are always the tricky bit, wedged in a corner somewhere. I try and use the type (if it's a copper spun style) with the access port on it. Don't forget to give the condensor a good blowout and if you can get away with it a new condensor fan motor as well.

Cheers,
    Andy.
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.