It's november in australia and only 24C with showers!

expletives!
    So cool right now I'm busier than ever!
    Answering emails, phone calls etc with people wanting quotes that is!

Got a few days that were warm, but now cool again and rain expected. Because of that, everyone can take their time ringing around and expecting free quotes!

I normally get a crap load of twats calling to sell me crap, (anyone out there advertise their phone number? If not, you have no idea...), but at least the rest are actual jobs.

Now it seems no jobs, just people wasting my time wanting quotes over the phone, or on email, ie guess a price for them from their rough description. Or expect a free call out on site.
    All because their system broke down months ago, but didn't care back then.
    But now they have enough time to keep calling to find the free/cheap guy because it isn't going to warm up again for a while to their mind. Stuff like this and having little work for the previous 3 months has made my grumpy if you haven't noticed. Try it yourself ( advertised number, work coming in waves, finances etc etc. It's a no brainer why (I hope) I get along a lot better with Mike and John than some of the rest of you, they know how it is.)

I still have work due to contracts and regulars, but if I said I hated answering the phone before because it always rang, well at least they were real jobs before, not just enquiries. So now I hate answering the phone or checking email doubly so!
    Last edited by paul_h; 15-11-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Re: It's november in australia and only 24C with showers!

These people are the direct source of the bread on your table and the beer in the fridge!
    At times like this , I go for a long ride trying to get as many new customers as i can.

Ha Ha, no, they stop me working because I spend all day on the phone, then they take my quote and may call me when it is hot and it's back to regular business (ie answer phone, get paid to fix), and then they may want me out for the info/quote I did ages ago when I'm too busy to do it in the future.
    Like I said, the weather is so mild they want free quotes, free time, free call out now, for what they may act on later.
    I don't have problem getting the work eventually, I'm pretty cheap with no overheads. But the amount of work is no where near the amount justified on the phone at the moment, because of the weather being mild.
    Normally it's: (phone ring - job) (phone ring - marketer) (phone ring - quote)
    Now it's
    (phone ring - quote) (phone ring - quote) (phone ring - job) (phone ring - quote) (phone ring - marketer) (phone ring - quote) (phone ring - quote)
    And like I said, it's because the weather is mild, they have extra time to ring around to get the free/cheap guy. Normally this time of year, it's warmed up and the luxury of time has gone. Job goes straight to the first decently priced guy they find rather than call 30 more people to find the lowest price. This time they want to call everybody, and I hate those calls. I am not free call out/quote when it comes to repairs. (most of my jobs are $100-400; $400 meaning PCB, $150 the normal amount per job, time spent on info and driving etc not worth a lot of hassle for a maybe '$150')
    Last edited by paul_h; 15-11-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Funny that it's November in Ireland too.
    It's a tropical 13c in Dublin
    I know where you're coming from Paul ,no viable spam filter for phones yet.
    Look on the bright side ,it's not going to snow.
    Unfortunately you have to take the good with the bad.
    If it was easy everyone would be doing it.
    Cheers
    Stu
    Last edited by stufus; 15-11-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Typo
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

paul,get an answering machine to vet ur calls then u can concentrate on free quotes,which unless ur on site can often turn into a nightmare,can i download that ringtone?? gives u time to listen to music too!!haha

Cool Re: It's november in australia and only 24C with showers!

hi paul

what part of oz do you live in?

i lived there for 5 years working found it to be a good experience.

i lived and worked in Perth
    Last edited by cold.man; 19-11-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    your only as good as your last job

this is why i don't work for myself.

i have a fantastic work ethic and would probably be a very good business man.

i get out of my bed get in my van go and graft all day take pride in my work and carry out my job as i would if i worked for myself.

get home get a shower put my slippers on have my scoff and assume the pre shut eye position on the sofa.

let them in the office answer the phones and find me the work to do.

dont get me wrong working for yourself has its good points ie at the end of the month you probably have a better bank balance if its a succesful business that is and obviously there is many other good points.

i have seriously thought about it but honestly im stressed enough with 5 kids let alone running a business aswell.

hope work picks up mate but better the phone ringing than not i suppose.

i found you could have as many adds you wanted in Perth word of mouth was the most important but i would expect it would be the same anywhere worldwide.

as my signature says your only as good as your last job.

jesus- coldman theyre paying u too much basic,if they paid u less ,then you'd do more overtime then u wouldnt have time for 5 kids!!! but think of the tax free revenue u can get when theyre paying u board/rent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cold.man View Post
    this is why i don't work for myself.

i have a fantastic work ethic and would probably be a very good business man.

i get out of my bed get in my van go and graft all day take pride in my work and carry out my job as i would if i worked for myself.

get home get a shower put my slippers on have my scoff and assume the pre shut eye position on the sofa.

let them in the office answer the phones and find me the work to do.

dont get me wrong working for yourself has its good points ie at the end of the month you probably have a better bank balance if its a succesful business that is and obviously there is many other good points.

i have seriously thought about it but honestly im stressed enough with 5 kids let alone running a business aswell.

hope work picks up mate but better the phone ringing than not i suppose.

i found you could have as many adds you wanted in Perth word of mouth was the most important but i would expect it would be the same anywhere worldwide.

as my signature says your only as good as your last job.

wish they did pay my rent !!!!!!!! ha ha i would be so lucky cant even get a council house i would have to be a druggie and on the dole for that. unfortunatly i dont fall into that catagorey i just pay the tax to provide houses for them.

when i started out with the compaany i am with now i was working 60 to 70 hours per week somtimes more and whilst doing this ensuring my work standards kept high.
    now i have realised they dont appreciate it so i go to work and have a very good work ethic do my work to very high standards.
    but when they call me to pull them out of the s****t i think they have realised i am NFI'd and get some other mug.
    but i have found by speaking with other engineers most supermarket places are the same nowadays so no point in jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
    I NOW PREFER MY SOFA BREW AND SLIPPERS TO OVERTIME.
    i would rather struggle than have the p****s taken out of me.

yep-im the same, but then u realise that management respect the shysters more than muggins,so your ethics change,the quality of work doesnt drop,you just take more time and have more coffee breaks. who do you work for btw?

Quote Originally Posted by cold.man View Post
    wish they did pay my rent !!!!!!!! ha ha i would be so lucky cant even get a council house i would have to be a druggie and on the dole for that. unfortunatly i dont fall into that catagorey i just pay the tax to provide houses for them.

when i started out with the compaany i am with now i was working 60 to 70 hours per week somtimes more and whilst doing this ensuring my work standards kept high.
    now i have realised they dont appreciate it so i go to work and have a very good work ethic do my work to very high standards.
    but when they call me to pull them out of the s****t i think they have realised i am NFI'd and get some other mug.
    but i have found by speaking with other engineers most supermarket places are the same nowadays so no point in jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
    I NOW PREFER MY SOFA BREW AND SLIPPERS TO OVERTIME.
    i would rather struggle than have the p****s taken out of me.

hi install monkey ive sent you a pm rather than put there name on the site even though i want too