Hybrid View

Re: Rapid chilling hogs - ashrae

Hi Sandro.
    Isn't the whole point about rapid chilling that if the chilling process is too slow, ice crystals form and puncture the cell walls of the product causing the cell insides to leak out.
    If the chilling is quick however, the ice crystals don't have a chance to form thus the cell walls stay intact.

I've not read the Ashrae literature but are they differentiating between chilling and rapid freezing?

Cheers,
    Andy.
    Health and safety first..........unless I'm in a hurry.

Re: Rapid chilling hogs - ashrae

Quote Originally Posted by Tayters View Post
    Hi Sandro.
    Isn't the whole point about rapid chilling that if the chilling process is too slow, ice crystals form and puncture the cell walls of the product causing the cell insides to leak out.
    If the chilling is quick however, the ice crystals don't have a chance to form thus the cell walls stay intact.

I've not read the Ashrae literature but are they differentiating between chilling and rapid freezing?

Cheers,
    Andy.

Tayters I was talking about chilling. I mean get the temperature down from +40ºC to about +5ºC in less than 24 hours.
    To make progress is never good enough, I want to do better and better and better