G'day from an another Aussie living in London with some noob questions

Hi.
    I moved to London a few months back and have been travelling a bit, but am now running low on funds so i've gotta get a new job.
    I've worked in commercial A/C for the past 5 years and am looking for the same type of job here.
    Most of the jobs listed ask for C&G F-Gas 2079 or CITB J11
    C&G / NVQ Level 2 in Refrigeration & AC
    Could anybody explain what these certifications are for? and if my australian certificates will cover?
    Also i didn't bring any tools with me because they didn't quite fit into the 20kg weight limit on the plane. Will any employers supply tools? or at least gauges and a meter?

Thanks

Andrew

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: G'day from an another Aussie living in London with some noob questions

2079 and J11 are a certification of your competence to work on refrigeration containing systems; without them you cannot, legally, touch those systems.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

ever though of bar work ?
    I can fix broke but I cant fix stupid :)

Cheers Brian, well that's easy, my Australian qualifications will cover that. Do you guy's have anything like a refrigerant handling licence?

And No Simon, there is no way I would ever consider working in some bar. I'd prefer to do my trade.

The Certs Brain describes are the required British (& European ) Safe handling certs.
    They are a legal requirement much like your Artic (Is that what it's called?).
    It would indeed be unfair to exclude someone like yourself, but i am not sure how it all pans out for
    someone in your situation.
    The forum may well have someone who has had a similar experience that can advise?

Good luck anyway.
    I know from comments others have made previously that it is getting increasingly difficult everywhere for Tradesmen to ply their trade.

Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    The Certs Brain describes are the required British (& European ) Safe handling certs.
    They are a legal requirement much like your Artic (Is that what it's called?).
    It would indeed be unfair to exclude someone like yourself, but i am not sure how it all pans out for
    someone in your situation.
    The forum may well have someone who has had a similar experience that can advise?

Good luck anyway.
    I know from comments others have made previously that it is getting increasingly difficult everywhere for Tradesmen to ply their trade.

Grizzly
    Cheers Grizzly,
    I spoke to an agency today and they thought that I had to do a week long course and then I can get an f gas ticket, but they are only agents so I think that I'll have to make some more phone calls. Either way it can't be too hard. If I have to do a course than so be it.

The C&G / CITB (equal assessment qualifications for the handling of refrigerants) are the UK part of a EU refrigerant handling qualification that is (in theory) transferable throughout all the 27 member states in the EU.

As far as I am aware the UK does not recognise 3rd country qualifications, though the knowledge base will be similar. It will differ in the parts that deal with UK and UE regulations and standards. In this area it is probable that you will encounter differences in what you are used to down under.

There is also a very basic theoretical and practical brazing test in the mix.

The refrigerant test itself is a ‘tick-box’ exercise and is not particularly onerous if you already have experience.

The NVQ qualification is grounding in the knowledge of the trade and is more involved, typically a couple of years, including work experience for which you will need employment.

Unless you have right of abode in the UK you may also need to check out a work permit.

The days when you could borrow a set of gauges and get cracking are gone. I’m afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post

The C&G / CITB (equal assessment qualifications for the handling of refrigerants) are the UK part of a EU refrigerant handling qualification that is (in theory) transferable throughout all the 27 member states in the EU.

As far as I am aware the UK does not recognise 3rd country qualifications, though the knowledge base will be similar. It will differ in the parts that deal with UK and UE regulations and standards. In this area it is probable that you will encounter differences in what you are used to down under.

There is also a very basic theoretical and practical brazing test in the mix.

The refrigerant test itself is a ‘tick-box’ exercise and is not particularly onerous if you already have experience.

The NVQ qualification is grounding in the knowledge of the trade and is more involved, typically a couple of years, including work experience for which you will need employment.

Unless you have right of abode in the UK you may also need to check out a work permit.

The days when you could borrow a set of gauges and get cracking are gone. I’m afraid.

Bugger, well thanks mate. I found one training company doing the fgas course for 3days and £600 but its still a bit steep for something I've already got at home. I wrote an email to Fgas yesterday and am still awaiting a reply.
    Does this Fgas course mean that anybody could walk in off the street, pay some money, sit a test and walk away with a ticket to perform refrig work? Isn't that a bit stupid, or were you having lots of problems with bad tradesmen anyway so the governing body decided to make some money off it?