Minimum Tube Length

Hello.

I need to know before I proceed tomorrow if I can attach a 5,000 BTU condenser and evaporator (from a window unit) to the 12,000 BTU compressor (just temporarily) without overheating the compressor?

I was worried because the condenser is for 5,000 BTU units and the compressor is refrigerant cooled.

Visit http://www.kompulsa.com/ for technology news, reviews, and more. Twitter: Kompulsa.

Re: Minimum Tube Length

If push comes to shove, there is extra 3/8" copper tubing behind an old stove that isn't being used and I can use that to extend my 12 feet of 1/4" tubing (out of sheer desperation). I am out of money, totally. That does raise another question, though. Will it still work alright if I use a significant amount of 3/8" tubing with the 1/4"?
    Visit http://www.kompulsa.com/ for technology news, reviews, and more. Twitter: Kompulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kompulsa View Post
    Hello.

I need to know before I proceed tomorrow if I can attach a 5,000 BTU condenser and evaporator (from a window unit) to the 12,000 BTU compressor (just temporarily) without overheating the compressor?

I was worried because the condenser is for 5,000 BTU units and the compressor is refrigerant cooled.
    Not a good idea. Can only fit compressor to system it was designed for.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
    Not a good idea. Can only fit compressor to system it was designed for.
    Ok, could you give me a ballpark estimate of what a suitable tube length would be? It is a standard 12,000 BTU rotary air conditioner compressor which is purchased to install in almost any 12,000 BTU unit.

Yes I'll give you an estimate , you need a 12,000 BTU machine to stick it in .
    Otherwise it won't end well.
    If your stuck for money don't waste what you have on projects that are no more than a gamble or experiment.
    Cheers
    Stu
    Tool's ? check ! Condom's ? check !
    If you can't fix it , f*ck it !!!

stick an inverter drive and reduce the freq output to 5/12 of the normal input-around 20.33htz