Anti-recycle or anti-short cycle timer

Hello.

I am getting a standard split unit Toshiba 12,000 BTU A/C compressor next weekend and I need to know if it comes with an anti-short cycle or anti-recycle timer built in to prevent it from restarting too soon or if i have to go out and buy one?

Re: Anti-recycle or anti-short cycle timer

Hi Kompulsa

in the box you should find it comes complete, including start kit, wiring loom & all the controls

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

It's a basic feature incorporated in all microprocessor controls.

It is a compressor alone that I am getting, it is not coming with any electronics in the kit according to the store, so I was wondering if the timer was built into the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kompulsa View Post
    It is a compressor alone that I am getting, it is not coming with any electronics in the kit according to the store, so I was wondering if the timer was built into the compressor.
    If this compressor is going into an airconditioner, an a replacement, then there is no need to be concerned about the time delay as existing air-conditioner electronics will do the job. No timers are built into compressors.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

No, it's not built in the compressor.

Are you using the triple pass loop inductor ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kompulsa View Post
    the int O/L acts as a delay timer

Quote Originally Posted by r.bartlett View Post
    the int O/L acts as a delay timer
    Dito, agit in cultro int timer moram
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

The overload is an overload. Not a timer.

MAlvis Guest

The only control within residential hermetic compressors is a single Klixon thermal switch. However these Klixon switches only trigger when their particular position within or near the windings gets hot enough and their cut-out temperature is typically high so that they are unlikely to trip until the motor has gotten hot-enough & long-enough, so as to not create unwanted cut-outs under non-prolonged conditions.

By the time these Klixon switches trigger, e.g. low *****/lubricant flow/high compressor pressure & motor workloads, the compressor has usually been running well beyond its safe operating limits for long term reliability.

The Klixon switches are primarily there for fire-protection, not compressor-service-life protection.

Thus anti-recycle/anti-short cycle timers, low-pressure lockouts, high-pressure lockouts and condenser fan airflow-lockout circuits are important for long-term compressor and system protection.

Typically only the very top-of-the-line condenser have such safety controls included by the manufacturers (cost/profit competition issues). They can be added in the field, though it is rare, in my experience, for this to be done. This is reflected in how few wholesale parts and service dealers stock lock-out circuits/relays, especially for condenser fan-airflow. ICM controls, icmcontrols.com, offers a few such circuits, but only ones they were previously commissioned by OEMs to design and manufacture and they do not offer fan airflow-sensors to attach to the circuits they sell.

In my experience, most of the public does not understand the issues. Typically the focus of owners, dealers and service technicians is on up-front-cost, profits, speed and ease, not long-term reliability and long-term costs, penny-wise, pound-foolish.

Ok, thank you. I finally have a relay now so I will learn how to build a delay timer.
    Visit http://www.kompulsa.com/ for technology news, reviews, and more. Twitter: Kompulsa.

I've seen kriwan motor protection used for switching the compressor off. In fact the relay on board the kriwan motor protection is a 6(8)A, and that's enough for small single phase compressors. I know of a german manufacturer that leaves the compressor running until the suction superheat is high enough to overheat the motor. The kriwan stops the compressor like if it was a thermostat. When the motor cools, the compressor starts again.
    But again, the muddlers are us italians.

I do not think so that Anti-recycle or anti-short cycle timer is built in the compressor..And make sure you are checking the kit properly before you go to purchase it..

I have had to order some HL switches set at a reasonable limit (lower than the heat pumps standard one) in series with the 24v side of the motor contactor. I don't think the system should have to wait till it is really overheated to shut off when there is a problem.